-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
France detects Russia-linked Epstein smear attempt against Macron: govt source
France has detected a Russia-linked disinformation effort alleging President Emmanuel Macron's involvement with convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, a government source told AFP on Friday.
Politicians, celebrities and royals have been caught up in the turmoil after the US Justice Department last week published a new cache of nearly three million documents related to the investigation of Epstein, who died in 2019 while awaiting trial for sex trafficking.
France's Viginum agency, which counters foreign disinformation campaigns, detected Wednesday the operation involving a fabricated video report "accusing President Emmanuel Macron of being involved in the 'Epstein affair'", the source said.
The fake report was posted on a site fraudulently using the identity of a French media organisation, France-Soir, said the source, adding that the Storm-1516 project spreading fabricated content was behind the operation.
The fake report, allegedly by Le Parisien journalist Victor Cousin, claims to reveal "documents" incriminating Macron.
The Department of Justice's files about Epstein do not contain the alleged documents.
Writing for Le Parisien, Cousin, 26, said he went to a police station to file a complaint.
"I had to explain how pro-Russian individuals had stolen my identity to attack the French president," he wrote.
"The police officer in front of me stared at me with wide eyes, unable to comprehend what I was saying."
- 'Brand theft' -
On Wednesday, France-Soir sought to distance itself from the fabricated report.
"Warning: brand and content theft," it said. "The website http://france-soir.net has no connection with France-Soir."
According to the government source, the site was linked "with a high degree of confidence to the CopyCop information operation."
CopyCop is linked to John Mark Dougan, an American fugitive living in Russia. The latter "maintains part of the digital infrastructure of the Storm-1516 information operation," the source added.
On X, the first account to share the fake video report was "@LoetitiaH, a frequent relay for Storm-1516 information operations," the source added.
The video content was then "picked up and amplified by numerous other accounts monitored by Viginum," said the source.
The source said that "this operation is very similar" to other Storm-1516 campaigns targeting political figures.
The posts targeting Macron began appearing online on Wednesday, shared simultaneously by several social media accounts identified as regular sources of pro-Russian disinformation. The accounts have a following of several thousand internet users.
The posts cite an alleged email exchange between Epstein and the controversial French modelling agent Jean-Luc Brunel, who was found dead in his cell in a Paris prison in 2022 after being charged with raping minors. The alleged email does not exist in the files.
According to the false narrative, Brunel allegedly told Epstein in May 2017 that he would take "a few boys" to a party that Macron was organising.
Like previous disinformation operations on social media, they rely on a video with audio dubbed by artificial intelligence, screenshots of altered documents, and links to a website impersonating another media outlet to lend credibility to their narrative.
The posts share a link to the clone of the France-Soir media site, launched on Sunday, whose domain name is registered as .net instead of the .fr of the authentic site.
The French government has repeatedly warned the public over Russian disinformation campaigns in Europe that have grown in intensity since Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine in 2022.
- Missing link -
According to Antibot4Navalny, a collective that monitors pro-Kremlin bot networks, Storm-1516 and Matryoshka launched simultaneous campaigns targeting Macron in early February.
However, the group said there was no proven "direct link beyond the timing and topics" between the two operations.
"No strong connections between sites or distribution accounts can give us grounds to make that claim," Antibot4Navalny told AFP.
According to Viginum, Storm-1516 was behind at least 77 disinformation operations targeting Western countries between late 2023 and March 2025.
After the publication of the Epstein files, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was also targeted by false posts.
Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said this week the Epstein files demonstrate "how the Western elite treats children" and such officials "stand behind the Kyiv regime".
tll-nl-am-pim-as/ah/st
J.AbuHassan--SF-PST