-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
Washington Post CEO out after sweeping job cuts
The Washington Post said Saturday its CEO and publisher Will Lewis was leaving effective immediately, just days after the storied newspaper owned by billionaire Amazon founder Jeff Bezos made drastic job cuts that angered readers.
Though newspapers across the United States have been facing brutal industry headwinds, Lewis's management of the outlet was sharply criticized by subscribers and employees alike during his two-year tenure as he tried to reverse financial losses at the daily.
Lewis, who is English, has been replaced by Jeff D'Onofrio, a former CEO of social media platform Tumblr who had joined the Post as chief financial officer last year, the paper announced.
In an email to staff shared on social media by one of the newspaper's reporters, Lewis said it was "the right time for me to step aside."
A statement from the Post said only that D'Onofrio was succeeding Lewis "effective immediately."
Hundreds of Post journalists -- including most of its overseas, local and sports staff -- were let go in the sweeping cuts announced on Tuesday.
The Post did not disclose the number of jobs being eliminated, but The New York Times reported approximately 300 of its 800 journalists were laid off.
The paper's entire Middle East roster was let go as was its Kyiv-based Ukraine correspondent as the war with Russia grinds on.
Sports, graphics and local news departments were sharply scaled back and the paper's daily podcast, Post Reports, was suspended, local media reported.
Hundreds turned out Thursday at a protest in front of the paper's headquarters in downtown Washington.
- Editorial interference -
Newspapers across the country have cratered under falling revenues and subscriptions as they compete for eyeballs with social media, and as internet revenue pales in comparison to what print advertising once commanded.
However, national papers like The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal have managed to weather the storm and come out financially solid -- something the Post, even with a billionaire backer, has failed to do.
In Lewis's note to staff, shared on X by White House bureau chief Matt Viser, Lewis said "difficult decisions have been taken" during his tenure "in order to ensure the sustainable future of The Post so it can for many years ahead publish high-quality nonpartisan news."
Bezos, one of the world's richest people, and Lewis have come under scrutiny for intervening directly in the paper's editorial processes.
Bezos reined in the newspaper's liberal-leaning editorial page and blocked an endorsement of Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris days before the 2024 election -- breaking the so-called firewall of editorial independence.
He was widely seen as bowing to Trump.
The Wall Street Journal reported last month that 250,000 digital subscribers left the Post after it refrained from endorsing Harris, and the paper lost around $100 million in 2024 as advertising and subscription revenues fell.
Marty Baron, the Post’s executive editor until 2021, said that the job cuts ranked "among the darkest days in the history of one of the world's greatest news organizations."
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST