-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Kyiv 'outraged' at Swiss showing of Russian war film
The controversial documentary "Russians at War" will be shown at the Zurich Film Festival (ZFF) next month despite harsh criticism from Kyiv, the event's director said Thursday.
The documentary has sparked outrage since it was first shown at the Venice Film Festival earlier this month, with some calling it a pro-Kremlin film that seeks to whitewash and justify Moscow's assault on its neighbour.
Ukraine added Russian-Canadian filmmaker Anastasia Trofimova, who directed the documentary, to a national security blacklist on Monday, saying it spread "Russian propaganda" about Moscow's invasion.
The documentary was listed on the programme for the Swiss festival, which was sent out to media on Thursday, as a film portraying "Russian frontline soldiers in Ukraine (dealing) with the fragility of democracy".
The ZFF acknowledged Thursday that the film had already "made waves", and said it had received "protest letters".
"We can understand that the film evokes strong emotions in Ukrainians, but we will maintain its projection, because we consider that 'Russians at War' is an anti-war film," it said in a newsletter.
Like the 2022 German film "All Quiet on the Western Front", which won four Oscars for its depiction of the horrors of World War I, ZFF said the documentary "shows how young soldiers mostly are reduced to pulp".
ZFF director Christian Jungen told reporters Thursday that it was understandable that "Ukrainians are unhappy".
But he insisted that "films should incite discussion", adding that he considered the documentary an "anti-war film", according to the Keyston-ATS news agency.
- 'Propaganda' -
A spokesman for the Ukrainian foreign ministry warned the ZFF organisers Thursday that they risked ruining the festival's reputation by going ahead with the screening.
"This is a propaganda film that whitewashes war crimes, not a documentary," Georgiy Tykhyi said on X, formerly Twitter.
"Real Russians at war are invaders, war criminals, and rapists. Covering them up makes you complicit."
Before those comments, the Ukrainian foreign ministry had already said on X on Wednesday that it was "outraged" by the ZFF decision.
According to Trofimova's website, she has previously made documentaries in Syria, Iraq and the Democratic Republic of Congo that have been broadcast on Russia's state-run RT television, which has been hit by sanctions from the European Union and the United States.
Jungen acknowledged that the director was "not unproblematic", stressing that the "Russians at War" documentary would be discussed at a roundtable event during the festival.
A number of stars are set to attend the ZFF, which runs from October 3 to 13, including Kate Winslet, Richard Gere and Jude Law.
A.AbuSaada--SF-PST