-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
X says Brazil service restoration 'inadvertent' and 'temporary'
Elon Musk's X social network said on Wednesday that the restoration of its services in Brazil, where it had been shut down, was "inadvertent and temporary."
Some Brazilian users were surprised to once again have access to the platform, formerly Twitter, from their phones after a Supreme Court judge last month ordered its suspension in a bitter legal standoff with Musk.
In a statement, X said the company had switched network providers in order to continue providing services to its Latin American users, resulting in the temporary restoration.
"This change resulted in an inadvertent and temporary service restoration to Brazilian users," the statement said.
"While we expect the platform to be inaccessible again shortly, we continue efforts to work with the Brazilian government to return very soon for the people of Brazil."
Earlier, the Brazilian Association of Internet and Telecommunications Providers (ABRINT) attributed the return of X to an update of the app to Cloudflare software, which uses constantly changing IP addresses.
Brazil's shutdown of X infuriated Musk and has fueled a fierce debate on freedom of expression and the limits of social networks, both inside and outside the country.
The social media platform has more than 22 million users in Brazil.
The hashtag "Twitter is back" was one of the most used in the country on Wednesday.
- Ongoing feud -
Judge Alexandre de Moraes last month ordered X to be banned after Musk refused to remove dozens of right-wing accounts accused of spreading fake news, and then failed to name a new legal representative in the country as ordered.
He also ruled that those using "technological subterfuges" such as virtual private networks (VPNs) to access the blocked site could be fined up to $9,000.
Moraes has repeatedly clashed with the South African-born billionaire after making it his mission to crack down on disinformation.
Last week, he ordered the transfer of about $3 million from Musk's companies to pay fines incurred by X.
Moraes also froze the assets of X and Musk's satellite internet operator Starlink -- which has been operating in Brazil since 2022, especially in remote communities in the Amazon -- to ensure payment of fines imposed on the social network for flouting court orders.
Musk reacted angrily to the suspension, calling Moraes a "dictator" and repeatedly targeting the judge in posts to his 198 million followers on X.
Brazil's leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva had hailed the ban, but his far-right predecessor Jair Bolsonaro was staunchly against it and welcomed the technical tweak that brought X back online.
"I congratulate all those who have pushed to defend democracy in Brazil," he wrote on the platform.
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST