-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
New York family of Holocaust victim reclaims Nazi-looted art
US authorities announced Friday the return of another artwork stolen by Nazis to the family of Fritz Grunbaum, the Austiran-Jewish cabaret performer and collector who originally owned it.
The return of "Seated Nude Woman," an expressionist drawing, is the latest such work to be handed back to the family of Grunbaum, who along with his wife Lilly was killed in the Holocaust, with their artworks sold off by the German regime and scattered, with some even going on to be displayed in museums.
The drawing, by Austrian expressionist Egon Schiele, was returned at a ceremony Friday by another Austrian-Jewish family, who purchased the piece without knowing that it had been stolen.
Both Grunbaum and his wife died in concentration camps during World War II.
Works by Schiele had been declared "degenerate" by the Nazis, with many of them confiscated and auctioned or sold abroad to finance the Nazi war machine.
"Seated Nude Woman" turned up in the hands of a New York art dealer decades later, who then sold it to Ernst and Helen Papanek, two Austrians who had fled the Nazis in 1938.
"The experience of the two families serves as yet another reminder of the evil and brutality of the Nazi regime," the Papanek family said in a statement. "We believe that returning the drawing is the right thing to do."
Arrested by the Nazis in 1938, Grunbaum, a critic of the regime, was forced to sign over his power of attorney to his spouse, who was then made to hand over the family's collection of hundreds of artworks before she was forcibly sent to a concentration camp.
This drawing is the 11th piece to be returned to the Grunbaum family's collection.
"The recovery of this important artwork -- stolen from a prominent Jewish critic of Adolf Hitler -- sends a message to the world that crime does not pay and that the law enforcement community in New York has not forgotten the dark lessons of World War II," Timothy Reif, a relative of Grunbaum said.
Since his election in 2021, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has overseen the recovery of almost 2,100 antiquities stolen from more than 30 countries, valued at around $250 million.
F.Qawasmeh--SF-PST