-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Firefighters search wreckage of deadly Spain nightclub fire
Firefighters on Monday searched the debris of a blaze that ripped through a packed Spanish nightclub complex over the weekend, killing at least 13 people and leaving two missing.
It is not yet known what caused the fire, which broke out early on Sunday in a building housing the Teatre and Fonda Milagros discos on the outskirts of the southeastern city of Murcia.
Police initially identified 15 people as missing after the blaze but as of Monday morning there were only two people still unaccounted for, Murcia Mayor Jose Ballesta told Spanish public television.
"It is very unlikely that any other body will be found," he added.
Police said three of the victims had been identified by their fingerprints. The rest of the bodies will have to be identified using DNA samples from close relatives.
"Police are using all the means at their disposal so that the families can get this information as soon as possible," police spokesman Diego Seral told Spanish public television.
The fire spread from the upper storey of the two clubs, which were next to each other in the building, he added.
"The fatalities were all concentrated in a very small area in the Fonda establishment," Serral said.
Firefighters told Spanish media the temperature inside the nightclubs soared above 500 degrees Celsius (900 degrees Fahrenheit) as the blaze raged.
- 'We're going to die' -
Police will have to wait 48 hours for the area to cool so that they can investigate what caused the blaze, Seral said.
There was a birthday party at one of the clubs on Saturday night, he added.
A man named Jairo, who said he was the father of one of the victims, told reporters his 28-year-old daughter had been inside one of the clubs.
He had had no news of her since she left a desperate voice mail message at 6:06 am, he added.
"Mum, I love you. We're going to die. I love you mum," a young woman's voice could be heard crying on the recording, while in the background people shouted for someone to turn on the lights.
An information area for victims' relatives has been set up in the nearby sports hall, where a team of psychologists will be on hand to offer support.
Firefighters dispatched to the scene at 7:00 am were able to extinguish the fire by 8:00 am, Ballesta said.
More than 40 firefighters and 12 emergency vehicles attended the scene, authorities said.
Officials said four people, two women aged 22 and 25 years old and two men in their forties, were treated for smoke inhalation.
Video footage released by the Murcia fire brigade shows the firefighters holding a long hose approaching fierce flames inside the venue, passing bar tables that still had drinks on them.
- Three days of mourning -
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez voiced "solidarity with the victims and relatives of the tragic fire in a Murcia nightclub".
Spain's tennis superstar and this year's Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz, who comes from Murcia, wrote on X that he was "very affected by the terrible news".
The city's mayor announced three days of mourning and said a minute of silence will be observed at noon on Monday for the victims.
In 1990, 43 people died in a fire at a nightclub in Spain's northeastern city of Zaragoza.
Ans in 2017, 40 people were injured in a packed nightclub on Spain's holiday island of Tenerife when a floor collapsed.
They included people from several countries, including Belgium, Britain, France and Romania.
I.Saadi--SF-PST