-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
Late queen pushed for son Andrew to be UK trade envoy: official papers
Britain's late queen Elizabeth II pushed for her son Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to be given a high-profile job as a trade envoy, a senior official said in a 2000 document released by the government on Thursday.
The British government agreed to release the documents related to the disgraced former prince's role as trade envoy from 2001 to 2011, amid the fallout from the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who was stripped of his remaining royal titles following the release of US files related to Epstein last year, was arrested in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to the late American sex offender.
He is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein during his time as an official trade envoy for Britain.
The former prince was released after being questioned for hours by police and has not been charged. He denies any wrongdoing.
The 11 documents published by the government discuss the appointment of the former prince to a role as a special envoy for British Trade International (BTI), which promoted the UK abroad.
Following a "wide-ranging conversation" with the queen's private secretary, BTI head David Wright wrote to the then foreign minister to say it was the queen's "wish" that Andrew, then the Duke of York, be appointed to the role.
"The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests," said the letter dated 25 February 2000.
One month earlier, in a message with the subject "Duke of York's travel", head of protocol Kathryn Colvin advised that the Duke of York "should not be offered golfing functions abroad".
Colvin also noted that the former duke preferred "more sophisticated countries" and "liked travelling, especially when on royal business".
- 'No vetting' -
The role was unpaid, but during his time as envoy, the then-prince was dubbed "Air Miles Andy" as he jetted around the world with his expenses, including luxury hotels, covered by taxpayers.
In a written statement to parliament, trade minister Chris Bryant said "we have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken."
However, this was "understandable" as the "new appointment was a continuation of the Royal Family's involvement in trade and investment promotion work".
Peter Mandelson, former UK ambassador to the US who was sacked over his ties to Epstein, is also being investigated for misconduct in public office when he was a government minister in the 2000s.
The Liberal Democrat party, which moved the government to release documents related to Mountbatten-Windsor, has also asked for the publication of any correspondence between Mandelson and the former prince.
The former duke has been long embroiled in scandals over his friendship with Epstein.
Virginia Giuffre, who died by suicide last year, claimed she was trafficked three times to have sex with the British royal, starting in 2001 and twice when she was 17.
Mountbatten-Windsor settled a US civil lawsuit in 2022 brought by Giuffre while not admitting liability.
N.Shalabi--SF-PST