-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
McIlroy pleased with reduced green speeds in US Open winds
Rory McIlroy was happy to see the US Golf Association slow the greens in Thursday's first round of the US Open with brutal winds testing top golfers at Shinnecock.
After talk of losing the course in 2004 and 2018 when the US Open was played at Shinnecock with gusting winds and lightning-fast greens, the USGA slowed the speed of the putting surfaces from where they were earlier this week.
"Greens are pretty slow and quite receptive. I think they need to be at this point," McIlroy said.
"It's a challenging golf course already, and you put 30-mph winds on top of it, it tests the best players in the world pretty well.
"They were prudent with the course setup. You just want to get everyone around without too much issue. They've set the course up for that, at least today."
McIlroy could not take full advantage, however, firing a one-under par 69 and twice squandering the lead, first with bogeys at the 13th and par-five 16th holes, then by closing with back-to-back bogeys at the eighth and ninth after making an 11-foot eagle putt at the par-five fifth.
"With the conditions today, anything under par or around even par is a good score," McIlroy said. "It was a day to really just keep yourself in the tournament and not shoot yourself out of it, which is exactly what I did eight years ago here."
At the 2018 US Open, McIlroy opened with an 80, matching his worst major round score to par at 10-over.
"The big thing I needed to change was my mindset," McIlroy said. "It hasn't looked as if I've done a rebuild of my game, but it has felt like it in terms of the way I approach the game and the value I place on certain shots and certain skills within the game."
McIlroy was more cautious and it helped, noting that when he was off target, "I missed it in pretty much all the right spots."
"Really just minimizing the mistakes. I did that for the most part," he said. "It's so tough. It's so difficult. I didn't feel like I hit two bad iron shots on the last two holes and put myself in pretty difficult spots and wasn't able to get it up-and-down, but overall a really good day."
McIlroy kept a wedge in his hands much of the day.
"Laying back in this championship is always the smart choice," McIlroy said. "The penalty for the miss is so severe around these greens that if you can just leave yourself a wedge in your hand you're never really going to make worse than a par, you hope, and that's never a bad score in this tournament."
His eagle putt at five came after a 396-yard drive that left him a pitching wedge shot from 194 yards.
"Was nice to hit wedge in there and then to pay it off with a putt and to make a three was a bonus," McIlroy said. "My par-five play of recent hasn't been the best, so it was nice to see that drop."
M.Qasim--SF-PST