-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Mexico promises peaceful World Cup opening despite protests
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said on Monday she could guarantee a peaceful World Cup opening ceremony this week, despite concern over ongoing protests.
A teachers union has threatened demonstrations at Thursday's opening game between Mexico and South Africa in the capital if the government doesn't respond to demands for salary raises and pension reforms.
"We are going to guarantee... that the celebration of the World Cup is well-executed, in peace and tranquility," Sheinbaum said in her daily press conference.
Last week, police dispersed protesters with teargas and rubber bullets outside the historic Zocalo square where authorities have erected a massive screen for a World Cup fan zone.
The streets surrounding the square remain closed off with metal barricades, which Sheinbaum has said are meant to guard against "provocations."
Protesting teachers also toppled commemorative statues of players in downtown Mexico City last week.
Though Sheinbaum has maintained open dialogue with the teachers, the union has deemed government proposals insufficient.
Joining the protests are hundreds of people from the Ayotzinapa teachers college, who are demanding further efforts to investigate the disappearance of 43 students from the rural school in 2014.
Mexico City police said they discovered 59 homemade explosive devices on one of the bus convoys entering the capital on Monday, posting a photo of dozens of small white pipes with fuses on X.
- Tourists 'freaked out' -
The teachers' sprawling tent camps have flooded the city center, leading to complaints from businesses that tourists will stay away during the World Cup.
"The access to our restaurant is closed off, the people aren't coming, the tourists are freaked out," 31-year-old waiter Jonathan Herrera, who was protesting against the encampment, told AFP.
Around 50 people waited to cross through one of the metal barricades under the watch of police, where one restaurant glued a poster reading "we're still open."
US tourist Heather Lutz, 64, expressed support for the protesters.
"No government likes their city to look real" during big events like the World Cup, she said.
The tournament is the ideal moment to "generate pressure" to win concessions from the government, 42-year-old teacher Dinora Diaz told AFP in the street encampment.
- Negotiations -
Sheinbaum's government explained on Monday their proposals to the teachers union, proposing the creation of a new state-owned company to administer pensions.
But the government dismissed the possibility of reversing pension laws, arguing it would cost around $400 million.
The teachers have rejected the government's proposals while the Secretary of Governance Rosa Icela Rodriguez called for the strikers to lift the blockades.
"It's fundamental that the legitimate exercise of the right to protest can coexist with the rights of those who live in and move through this great city," the official said.
A.Suleiman--SF-PST