-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Chwalinska hopes historic French Open final run can inspire
World number 114 Maja Chwalinska says she hopes her run from qualifying all the way to the French Open final can be "inspiring" for other players outside the top 100.
Chwalinska became the first qualifier to reach the final at Roland Garros since the Open era began, but came up short in her bid for a historic Grand Slam crown as she lost to eighth seed Mirra Andreeva 6-3, 6-2 in the title-decider on Saturday.
After years on the lower-tier circuit, 24-year-old Chwalinska's charge to the final, in what was just her third main draw appearance at a major, has captivated the tennis world and catapulted the previously unheralded Pole into the spotlight.
But Chwalinska, who will break into the top 100 for the first time when she rockets to No. 21 in Monday's updated rankings, said it was a only a fine margin between the players at the top of the game and those further down the pecking order.
"I know many, many great players that are ranked outside top 100. You know, it's such a thin line now," Chwalinska told reporters.
"I wish them all the best. I hope that my story these last days was inspiring for them.
"Yeah, I'll see them in the, let's say, top 50 now."
Despite surpassing all expectations with her remarkable run in which she earned the first wins of her career against top 50-ranked players, including Elise Mertens, Maria Sakkari, Anna Kalinskaya and Diana Shnaider, Chwalinska said she could play even better.
"Honestly, I didn't feel like I'm playing my best tennis, which is kind of weird," she said.
"I feel like I gained a lot of confidence, because I've never really played against the high-ranked players before. It was the very first time that I faced them.
"I will keep on working hard, as I am now... I will give my all to continue and to be a better player."
Chwalinska next has her sights set on Wimbledon, which prior to Roland Garros was the only Grand Slam in which she had recorded a main-draw win.
With her jump in the rankings coming too late for the Wimbledon entry list, she admitted that she does not "expect" a wildcard to the tournament but will "give my all" if she has to go through qualifying once again.
Before turning her attention to the grass though, she revealed that she plans on taking some well-earned rest.
"I'm not going to play anything before grass -- before Wimbledon, that's for sure," she said.
"I definitely need some time to recharge. Even before Roland Garros, I said that I needed vacation after the tournament. So now it's (been) three weeks that I'm kind of, like, not waiting, because I wanted to be here, but I just knew in my head that I'm going for vacation after the French Open."
J.AbuShaban--SF-PST