-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Cobolli to play Zverev in French Open final as Arnaldi withdraws
Italy's Flavio Cobolli said he was "sad and happy at the same time" after reaching his first Grand Slam final at the French Open on Friday, following the last-minute withdrawal due to illness of his last-four opponent and compatriot Matteo Arnaldi.
The 24-year-old 10th seed will meet Alexander Zverev in Sunday's final, which will produce a new major champion, after the German second seed earlier moved past Jakub Mensik in the other semi-final.
Just over 20 minutes before Cobolli and Arnaldi were due to take to Court Philippe Chatrier, tournament organisers announced that the 104th-ranked Italian had been forced to pull out with a "virus".
"When he came to me almost one hour ago, I almost cried. You know, it's something that you don't expect at all. I was ready to play this match," Cobolli told reporters during a press conference he held with his close friend Arnaldi, as the pair sat three metres apart.
"When he came, I was completely sad for him. But, at the same time, of course I'm really happy for the result that I reached this week.
"Yeah, now I'm sad and happy at the same time."
For first-time major semi-finalist Arnaldi, withdrawing was "not something that you wish to anybody", but "the right decision for me to take".
"It's tough, because for how the tournament was, for how many hours I've been on the court, I was feeling actually very good," Arnaldi, who had spent the most amount of time on court for a player en route to a Grand Slam semi-final, said.
The 25-year-old added that on Thursday he was "feeling okay" during practice, but after his dinner he began to feel unwell during the night.
"I started to feel so-so with my stomach. I was, like, 'All right, just didn't digest very well'," he recounted.
"But then I woke up at 1:00 a.m., and I started vomiting, and I wasn't feeling the best. Then I tried to sleep. I couldn't sleep at all. At 6:00, 7:00 a.m. I vomited again.
"We called the doctor into the room. He came, gave me some stuff. I was hoping that it would just be something from dinner or something like that, but then throughout the day, I couldn't eat. Every time we did something or would drink, I would go back to the bathroom."
Despite his best efforts, his state worsened throughout the day.
"I tried to get ready and tried to stay as much as I could here and tried to see if I could go on court, but every time I get up, I feel dizzy," Arnaldi said.
"It's a virus I think, because I was feeling pretty cold. I think I had a fever, like, during the day. I don't know, to be honest.
"I just know that I can't move, and I can't eat, and I can't drink. So, there was really no way that I will be able to play."
- 'Best on the tour' -
Cobolli paid tribute to a tearful Arnaldi.
"Matteo is a big inspiration for all of us. He's an amazing player and amazing professional," Cobolli said.
"He's, I think, the best person outside the court for how his match preparation, focus, cool-down. He's one of the best on the tour, for sure."
After the conference, Cobolli took to centre court to have a hit watched on by a decent smattering of spectators that had come for the match but stayed to see the world number 14 keep his eye in.
After his quarter-final victory over Canadian fourth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime on Wednesday, Cobolli will go into the weekend's final with plenty of rest.
"Maybe having almost four days off is a lot, so you lose the rhythm," he said.
"Now I got practice again. I think I will be ready, for sure, for the final, but I also know that I will be fresh, for sure.
"Maybe (the extra time off) will help; maybe not. I'll tell you after the final."
Q.Najjar--SF-PST