-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
California says probing possible violations over World Cup ticket sales
California has contacted FIFA over possible legal violations in the sale of World Cup tickets following allegations that some fans purchased seats in categories that were later changed, the state's attorney general said Wednesday.
The probe, which comes as supporters complain about the high prices of tickets for this year's tournament, follows reports that soccer's governing body sold tickets by categories displayed on stadium maps, but later adjusted those categories before assigning specific seats.
"Californians should be able to trust that the seats they purchase match the representations made during the sales process," Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a statement.
"We look forward to receiving the requested information from FIFA as part of our ongoing review."
The Athletic first reported last month that World Cup ticket buyers were accusing FIFA of "misleading" them with stadium maps that misrepresented the potential location of seats they were purchasing.
More than three million tickets to the 2026 World Cup, which kicks off June 11 and is being held in the United States, Canada and Mexico, were sold in four differently priced categories, based on color-coded stadium maps shown online during the purchasing process.
But "Category 1" ticket holders were placed in sections that, at one point, were color-coded as "Category 2," according to the report.
In his letter to FIFA, Bonta noted that "some consumers have reported feeling deceived because the seats they were ultimately assigned belonged to a lower-tiered category based on the seating map available to them at the time of purchase."
He requested copies and dates of when seating maps were changed, and the numbers of fans -- if any -- who ended up receiving inferior tickets as a result.
FIFA told The Athletic that its category maps were only "indicative" and provided "guidance rather than the exact seat layout."
The skyrocketing cost of tickets for the quadrennial tournament has already triggered a global backlash which has left FIFA scrambling to manage the public relations fallout.
Fan organization Football Supporters Europe (FSE) has branded the World Cup pricing structure as "extortionate" and a "monumental betrayal," citing ticket prices that have put the tournament -- expected to help generate $13 billion for FIFA -- out of reach for many.
The most expensive ticket for the final in 2022 cost around $1,600 at face value; in 2026 the most expensive face value ticket being sold by FIFA now weighs in at an eye-watering $32,970.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino says the prices are appropriate for the United States, which will host the bulk of the tournament's fixtures including the semi-final matches and the final.
K.AbuDahab--SF-PST