-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Atletico 'ready' for Champions League success at last: Simeone
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said that his team was ready to finally win the Champions League after knocking out Barcelona on Tuesday to reach the semi-finals.
The Rojiblancos fell to a 2-1 quarter-final second leg defeat at home but that was enough to progress 3-2 on aggregate after their 2-0 win at Camp Nou last week.
Atletico, who have never won the competition, will face Arsenal or Sporting Lisbon in the semi-finals.
"We'll go into it with all our hope, with total belief. We know the strengths we have and our flaws," said Simeone.
"We're ready. We're going to go after what we've been chasing for many years."
Simeone led Atletico to the Champions League final in 2014 and 2016, with both ending in painful defeats by cross-town rivals Real Madrid. The last time the Rojiblancos made the semi-finals was 2017.
"It's been fourteen years now (at the helm), it still excites me to see that the team keeps competing," said the Argentine coach.
"The players have changed, we've had to start over a bunch of times, and here we are again among the four best teams in Europe."
Veteran Atletico forward Antoine Griezmann said that his team always believed they could find a way back after Barca's two early goals.
Lamine Yamal and Ferran Torres fired the five-time winners ahead on Tuesday but Ademola Lookman pulled one back for Atletico and it proved decisive.
"With our fans and the quality that we have, we could get (our) goal," Griezmann told reporters.
"We weren't comfortable with the ball, we weren't calm enough to play but we got to the semi-finals."
He added: "It was a beautiful tie and a difficult one, against a team that plays very well. It was really tough, but we got through."
Barcelona coach Hansi Flick said that he believes his eliminated team deserved to progress to the semi-finals but had to learn from their defeat.
"We played a fantastic first half, (but) we have to score more goals. It was really possible, (but) we conceded the goal we didn't expect at this moment," Flick told reporters.
"When you see both matches, we deserved to get to the semi-final. The mentality, the attitude they showed on the pitch -- I'm really proud about that."
Flick said that although he was happy with his players, being knocked out was disappointing and something they had to learn from.
Barcelona finished both games with 10 men, with young defender Pau Cubarsi sent off at Camp Nou and Eric Garcia dismissed on Tuesday in the Spanish capital.
"We have to learn (from) these things, what we have to do, but we have a young team and I think we will improve next season," said the German coach.
"Every day we have to learn more, we have to be better and this is what we have to do," he continued.
"It's very disappointing for everyone and I am also disappointed. It's football, it's life, and we have to come back."
D.Qudsi--SF-PST