-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
De Zerbi 'not surprised' by backlash from Spurs fans over Greenwood
Tottenham manager Roberto De Zerbi admitted he was not surprised by the backlash from a section of fans over his past comments on Mason Greenwood.
Several Tottenham supporters' groups objected to the 46-year-old being hired by the struggling Premier League side due to his backing of Greenwood during their time at Marseille.
De Zerbi managed Greenwood at the French club after the former Manchester United striker faced charges -- which were later dropped -- of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm in 2022.
The Italian described Greenwood last year as a "good guy" who had paid a "heavy price" and added: "It saddens me what happened in his life, because I know a totally different person than the one who was described."
De Zerbi, who will take charge of Tottenham for the first time at Sunderland on Sunday, faced questions on Friday about his role in helping Greenwood resume his career at Marseille.
Asked about the fan criticism, De Zerbi said: "I wasn't surprised. I was a bit sad and sorry it happened, because I'm sorry if somebody took offence.
"I must repeat what I said the other time. This topic is very close to me, I'm very sensitive about this topic, because of the person I am and because I have a daughter.
"And so I must repeat what I said the other time. I have always been against - always - any type of violence, especially against women. But not only violence - even just sexist jokes or other sexist behaviour.
"I know who I am, I know the type of person I am, so I wasn't annoyed by the questions, I'm just sad about them."
Greenwood was charged in October 2022 after images and videos were posted online.
But the Crown Prosecution Service dropped the charges in February 2023 owing to "a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light", which meant there was "no realistic prospect of conviction".
Greenwood, who denied the charges, subsequently resumed his career and joined Marseille in 2024 under De Zerbi.
Asked if he hoped fans accept his apology, De Zerbi said: "Yes, also because I'm not going to go back over this topic.
"I spoke about it in my first interview, I spoke about it today and it wouldn't be right to go back over this topic again."
De Zerbi will start his Tottenham reign with the club in the relegation zone after West Ham's 4-0 win against Wolves on Friday lifted them above the north Londoners.
Tottenham haven't played in the second tier since 1977-78.
Z.AbuSaud--SF-PST