-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Mbappe says injury is behind him, all systems go for World Cup
French superstar Kylian Mbappe says the knee injury that kept him sidelined for almost two months is "behind him" and there had never been a concern he would miss this year's World Cup.
The 27-year-old Real Madrid striker admitted he had not been at his best mentally during the 54-day absence -- the longest of his career.
"There was a lot of frustration, anger and anxiety," the French captain said.
Mbappe, who along with the French squad flies to the United States on Tuesday for friendlies against Brazil on Thursday and then Colombia Sunday, came on as a substitute for a few minutes in last week's Champions League last-16 match at Manchester City.
He also played over 25 minutes for Real -- for whom he is top scorer this campaign with 38 goals in 34 appearances -- in the 3-2 derby win over Atletico on Sunday.
"It is behind me," he said of the injury.
"I put myself under a regime where I wanted to return gently but with a hunger to play.
"I hope I am going to be able to play during the international break and make a difference."
The France captain -- a World Cup winner in 2018 and runner-up in 2022 -- said he had been annoyed by the rumour mill suggesting his injury was more serious than it actually was.
He had avoided undergoing surgery after scans he had in Paris at the beginning of March revealed he would not require an intervention.
"Lots of people gave their own diagnosis, I heard many false things," said Mbappe, who was appearing at an event of an insurance company he invested in in Paris on Monday.
- 'Not at my best' -
Mbappe said there had never been a doubt about the injury preventing him from playing at what will be his third World Cup finals in June.
"No, that was never a topic of discussion," he said.
"At worst I could have had a partial rupture (of the ligament) which would have ruled me out till April.
"There was never a debate about the World Cup or the climax to the season with Real Madrid."
In spite of the sprain and the resulting pain the former PSG star played part of January and February, admitting he and Real "had tried to manage it as best as possible".
"One has to look at the positive, today, I have no pain and we are still in the hunt for trophies, that is what is most important," he said.
"We will have time afterwards to assess how it was handled.
"I am not going to go into the details, I will say I was not at my best in handling this period, I was not the happiest of players but I am delighted that is behind me now.
"All (the pain) is gone."
Mbappe said he was looking forward to pitting his wits against the Brazilians, who are managed by Carlo Ancelotti, who coached the Frenchman in his first season at Real.
"It might be a friendly but when you play Brazil, the greatest footballing nation with five World Cup wins, it is unbelievable to play against them," he said.
"It is a team who could win the World Cup, it is good to compare how we are at the moment with them.
"Even if we cannot take a lot of learnings out of this get together, we can nevertheless take some.
"One thing is for sure we are not going there for a holiday, we are going there as a step in our preparations for the World Cup."
B.Khalifa--SF-PST