-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
Iran 'welcome to compete' in World Cup, says Trump
US President Donald Trump would "welcome" Iran's participation at the upcoming World Cup in North America, despite the ongoing Middle East war, the White House said on Wednesday.
The war, triggered by US-Israeli strikes on February 28, has thrown into doubt Iran's participation at this summer's men's football World Cup, jointly hosted by Canada, Mexico and the United States.
The US administration was confirming an Instagram post by FIFA chief Gianni Infantino earlier in the day.
Infantino wrote that at a meeting to discuss preparations for the competition, "President Trump reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States."
The comments marked the first time that Infantino, who in December created a FIFA Peace Prize and awarded it to Trump, has acknowledged the ongoing war in the Middle East.
Trump's remarks to Infantino are a stark contrast to his comments last week when he told Politico: "I really don't care" if Iran play at the World Cup."
The US president's change of stance came as Iranian officials suggested they might not turn up anyway after American and Israeli attacks, including the killing of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
"Considering that this corrupt government has assassinated our leader, we do not have the conditions to attend the World Cup in anyway," Ahmad Donyamali, the Minister of Sports and Youth, told state-run television on Tuesday.
"They have forced two wars on us in eight or nine months, and have killed and martyred several thousand of our people. Therefore, we definitely do not have the possibility to attend."
- Asylum claims -
Iran's federation football chief on Tuesday also cast doubt on his team's participation in the sporting extravaganza, following the defection of several women footballers from the Islamic republic during the Asian Cup in Australia last week.
"If the World Cup is like this, who in their right mind would send their national team to a place like this?" Mehdi Taj asked on Iranian state television.
While the event is spread out across three countries, Iran are scheduled to play all three group games in the United States, two in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.
Should Iran withdraw from the sport's quadrennial showpiece, it would be the first time a country did that since France and India pulled out of the 1950 finals in Brazil.
On Tuesday, at the Women's Asian Cup in Australia, several players from Iran's team claimed asylum after they came under fire from state television for not singing the country's national anthem before one match.
Five players, including captain Zahra Ghanbari, slipped away from the team hotel under the cover of darkness to claim sanctuary from Australian officials, the Australian government announced.
At least two more team members applied to stay in Australia later in the day, according to local media.
However, Australia's Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said on Wednesday that one of the players had subsequently changed her mind.
Burke said in parliament on Wednesday that he had since been advised that one of the group "had spoken to some of the teammates that left and changed their mind".
"She had been advised by her teammates and encouraged to contact the Iranian embassy," he said.
"As a result of that, it meant the Iranian embassy now knew the location of where everybody was."
The remaining players have been moved from a safe house to another location, he said.
D.AbuRida--SF-PST