-
Tudor is '100 percent' certain of saving Spurs from relegation
-
Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
-
Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs
-
Italy bring back Capuozzo for France Six Nations trip
-
From Malinin's collapse to Liu's triumph: Top Olympic figure skating moments
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'write own destiny' after title wobble
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott opening ceremony over Russian flag decision
-
Wales captain Lake wants fans to bring 'noise' against Scotland
-
Skier Vonn's Italian hospital a hotbed of men, sister says
-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
-
Barcelona's Sagrada Familia basilica hits peak height
-
Milan sprints to second straight UAE stage win as Tiberi keeps lead
-
US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown
-
Benfica investigate video of fans' monkey gestures
-
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
-
New Zealand freeskier Melville Ives 'stable' after Olympics crash
-
Guardiola 'couldn't care less' about Arsenal stumble in title race
-
UK police search property as royals reel from Andrew's arrest
-
Germany's Merz to visit China next week
-
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
-
X appeals EU's 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations
-
Galthie recalls hulking locks Flament, Meafou for Italy
-
Turkey, Saudi sign major solar power deal
-
US Olympic freeskier Hess embraces 'loser' tag after Trump blast
-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI as leaders weigh message
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Ex-S. Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Messi kicks off MLS season in key World Cup year
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
Vincent Kompany has criticised Jose Mourinho's handling of the racism controversy involving Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior, saying the Benfica coach's comments after the midweek Champions League match were a "huge mistake".
Brazil international Vinicius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during Real's 1-0 win in Lisbon on Tuesday, telling the referee he had been called a "monkey" during a confrontation with the Argentine.
After the match, Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica's players and fans with his celebration following his winning goal in the first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie. UEFA has said it would investigation "allegations of discriminatory behaviour".
Bayern Munich coach Kompany, who reflected on his past experiences of racism as a player, said what he found most troubling was what unfolded off the pitch.
"You have the leader of an organisation, Jose Mourinho, who basically attacks the character of Vinicius Junior by bringing in the type of celebration. To discredit what Vinicius is doing at this moment," Kompany told reporters on Friday.
"And for me in terms of leadership, it's a huge mistake and it's something that we should not accept."
Kompany said talk of Vinicius' celebration should not distract from the player's immediate response to Prestianni's remarks, which showed genuine emotional distress.
"You have Vini Jr, who, when you watch the action itself, his reaction cannot be faked. You can see it. His reaction is an emotional reaction. I don't see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," said Kompany.
"There is absolutely no reason for Vini Jr to go and do this, and he does it, and when he does it, I think in his mind he's doing it more because it's the right thing to do in that moment."
- Difficult to prove -
However, Kompany said it would be difficult to prove the allegations of racist abuse against Prestianni unless the player admitted to doing so.
"You have a player (Prestianni) who's hiding what he's saying in his shirt... You have a player who's complaining, you have a player who says he didn't do it, and I think unless the player himself comes forward, it's difficult, it's a difficult case," said the Belgian.
Despite the criticism, Kompany said he hopes the situation can still lead to accountability and growth. If Prestianni did use racist language, he said, there should remain a space for apology and for disciplinary bodies to consider remorse.
"If it is true that the player from Benfica has said something as bad as what he said, I would love a situation where there's still a room where somebody can apologise. And say I'm sorry I made a mistake.
"This has an impact on the sentence as well, so the sentence should be A or B. But if you admit that you've made a mistake, There should be an opportunity as well to say that hey, nobody's perfect."
Turning back to Mourinho, Kompany said he'd "never heard a person say anything bad" about him and would not judge the Portuguese based on the incident at the Estadio da Luz.
"He's made a mistake. Hopefully in the future it won't happen like this again and that we can move forward and grow."
O.Salim--SF-PST