-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
'Relieved' Inoue outlasts Nakatani in Tokyo Dome superfight
Japan's Naoya Inoue said he was "relieved" to beat countryman Junto Nakatani by unanimous decision and stay unbeaten in front of 55,000 fans at a sold-out Tokyo Dome on Saturday.
The 33-year-old known as "Monster" put on another boxing masterclass to retain his undisputed super bantamweight world titles and hand Nakatani the first loss of his career.
The bout had been billed as one of the biggest in Japanese boxing history, bringing together two unbeaten fighters with identical 32-0 records at the famous venue.
It did not disappoint, with Inoue seeing off a spirited challenge from rangy southpaw Nakatani over 12 absorbing rounds.
Inoue admitted that he felt the pressure of the occasion, with Nakatani looking to dethrone him as the king of Japanese boxing.
"I'm 33 now and I was fighting against a Japanese fighter who's coming up in the pound-for-pound rankings, so I was determined not to lose," said Inoue.
"It was different to the fights I've had before, with the pressure. So I'm relieved that I won."
Inoue took his record to 33-0, with 27 knockouts, after successfully defending his world titles for the seventh time.
He was meeting a dangerous opponent eight centimetres (three inches) taller and five years younger.
The fight showcased the technical excellence of both boxers but in the end the judges scored 116-112, 115-113, 116-112 in Inoue's favour.
"I don't know if tonight was a legendary night or not but that's coming soon," said Inoue.
"Tonight isn't the end point of my boxing career and there's still time to create more legendary occasions."
Nakatani, who has held world titles in three different weight classes, was looking to catapult himself into the sport's top echelons with a win.
Nicknamed "Big Bang", the 28-year-old regularly features in The Ring magazine's top 10 pound-for-pound rankings, which rate the world's best boxers regardless of weight class.
He was fighting only his second bout at super bantamweight and he used his longer reach to hold Inoue at bay early in the fight.
- Accidental headbutt -
But he was powerless to prevent his opponent scoring with a series of pinpoint shots, before an accidental headbutt opened up a cut above his eye that troubled him late in the fight.
"I prepared for lots of different eventualities so I wasn't really surprised by the way he fought," said Nakatani, who saw his record drop to 32-1, with 24 KOs.
"But he fought like a champion and he's a great boxer."
The match was fought in an atmosphere of mutual respect, with both boxers exchanging smiles and fist bumps throughout.
Inoue tipped Nakatani to win a world title at super bantamweight in the future, calling him "a very strong-willed fighter".
"He's someone who is always ranked among the world's top pound-for-pound fighters and that gives this win extra significance," said Inoue.
Inoue was fighting at the Tokyo Dome for the second time, having beaten Mexico's Luis Nery there in May 2024.
The area around the stadium was thronged with fans hours before doors opened.
The atmosphere reached fever pitch when Inoue and Nakatani made their entrances for a landmark bout in Japanese boxing.
"The view I had from the ring was one that only I could savour, but it was thanks to the 55,000 people in the stadium that I was able to see it," Inoue said.
"I will be back at the Tokyo Dome so please let me savour this view again."
Inoue's younger brother Takuma beat Kazuto Ioka by unanimous decision on the undercard to retain his WBC bantamweight world title.
The 37-year-old Ioka was attempting to win a world title in a fifth different weight class.
Y.Shaath--SF-PST