-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
Aussie-born Staniforth was on France radar for years, says Galthie
Australia under-20 international forward Tom Staniforth was on France's radar three years ago, head coach Fabien Galthie revealed on Monday.
The 31-year-old lock recently qualified for France on residency grounds having spent more than five years playing for Castres in the Top 14.
And Galthie took the opportunity last week to call up Staniforth for his expanded 42-man squad ahead of the reigning champions' Six Nations opener against Ireland next week.
"He was a player who we were interested in already three years ago," Galthie said of Staniforth, who was still some way off qualifying for France back then.
"He was the best tackler in the league, he was impressive in the role of a lock and when I spoke to him, he said: 'I want to play for France'."
Staniforth's inclusion is perhaps surprising given his age and the fact that he missed almost all of last season through injury.
"It's true that he was out for a year, he had a serious ankle injury and now he's playing well again for Castres, so we will see," said Galthie.
"That doesn't mean we will pick him, but he's in the extended squad."
The former Brumbies and Waratahs player was one of six locks called up for the squad.
New Zealand-born Emmanuel Meafou and his Toulouse teammate Thibaud Flament started two of France's three Tests in November, with Romain Taofifenua and Hugo Auradou on the bench both times.
Flament has pulled out of the squad to accompany his wife in fertility treatment, opening up an opportunity for someone else to partner Meafou against Ireland.
- Foreign interest -
Staniforth and Meafou are not the only players in the French squad born outside of the country.
Prop Uini Atonio, who pulled out injured on Monday, was born in New Zealand, while fellow front-rower Tevita Tatafu was born in Tonga.
"All countries have done it. As soon as foreign players can play for their federation, head coaches take an interest," said Galthie.
Several star players in the Six Nations hail from southern hemisphere countries, such as Scotland wing Duhan van der Merwe (South Africa), Ireland centre Bundee Aki (New Zealand) and wing Mack Hansen (Australia), and Italy centre Ignacio Brex (Argentina).
The Six Nations opener on February 5 will be France scrum-half Antoine Dupont's first match back in the blue jersey since last year's tournament, when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury in Les Bleus' penultimate match, a crucial 42-27 win away to the then-reigning champions Ireland.
"Obviously I'm very excited to play this first game at home. It's a bit special for me as I didn't wear the French jersey for one year," Dupont said at the official Six Nations launch at Edinburgh Castle.
"I'm very excited, it's a magical tournament, it's still the same feeling each time we play these kind of games."
J.Saleh--SF-PST