-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
Dustin Johnson takes British Open lead as LIV rebels make statement
Former world number one Dustin Johnson shot a 67 to seize the clubhouse lead at nine under par on the second day of the 150th British Open on Friday as several LIV Golf rebels made moves at St Andrews.
Johnson, the two-time major winner who quit the PGA Tour last month to join the controversial breakaway Saudi-backed series, followed his opening four-under-par round of 68 with a bogey at the first after going out in one of the first groups of the day at 8:14 am (0714 GMT).
However, the American quickly recovered from that with no more bogeys and six birdies, including one at the last which saw him move a shot ahead of overnight leader Cameron Young.
Johnson will be hoping to avoid a repeat of the last Open at St Andrews in 2015, when he led at the halfway stage on 10 under par but a third-round 75 ended his hopes of victory.
"To be honest, I don't even remember the third round from seven years ago. I've played a lot of golf since then, and that was a long time ago," he insisted before claiming he was oblivious to criticism of the LIV rebels.
"I don't read anything. So I wouldn't know what you were saying or if there was anything negative being said. I don't pay attention to it."
Young, who led by two strokes overnight after an eight-under-par 64 on Thursday, teed off at at 1:26 pm (1226 GMT) in his second round.
Meanwhile, world number one Scottie Scheffler and England's Tyrrell Hatton, who went out together, both moved onto eight-under at the halfway stage.
Masters champion Scheffler recorded a second consecutive 68 while Hatton enjoyed a bogey-free 66 on Friday.
The last player to win the Masters and British Open in the same year was Tiger Woods in 2005.
- 'We've caught a lot of flak' -
Among the other LIV series members putting themselves in position to challenge over the weekend was Talor Gooch, who shot a 69 to move to seven-under at the halfway stage, level with Australian former Masters champion Adam Scott.
"We've caught a lot of flak for what we've done here recently," said American Gooch when asked about the performances of his fellow LIV players.
"I think one thing that cannot be questioned is the quality of players that are there."
Playing with Johnson, Scott shot a brilliant second-round 65, the lowest round so far of a day that began wet and overcast before the skies began to clear in late morning.
Scott has not defected to the LIV tour but Sergio Garcia, another ex-Masters winner, has.
The Spaniard's brilliant 66 on Friday morning leaves him at three-under for the tournament at halfway.
There are 24 players from the LIV series in St Andrews this week, and the landmark staging of the world's oldest golf tournament has to some extent been overshadowed by the new tour.
Speaking on the eve of the Open, R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said the LIV model was "not in the best long-term interests of the sport as a whole and is entirely driven by money".
LIV offers prize money of $25 million for each 54-hole event, compared to a $14 million prize pot for this week's Open.
- Woods set to miss cut -
Rory McIlroy, who came into the week as the favourite, sat in second place overnight after an opening 66 put him two shots behind leader Young.
The Northern Irishman, Open champion at Hoylake in 2014, was not due to start his second round until 2:59 pm (1359 GMT) on Friday.
Meanwhile Woods, who has won two Opens at St Andrews in 2000 and 2005, was set to miss the cut after sitting at seven-over for the championship halfway through his second round.
The 46-year-old, who suffered severe leg injuries in a car crash last year, was back out on the course on Friday morning after not finishing until late the previous day in a round that took over six hours.
Slow play scarred the opening day on a course whose tight, criss-crossing layout led to frequent hold-ups, and light was fading badly with the final groups still finishing their rounds.
"It was just an insane amount of waiting," said Max Homa, who has partnered Woods and US Open champion Matt Fitzpatrick in the opening two rounds.
N.Shalabi--SF-PST