-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
Ireland relieved that Sexton to face All Blacks after concussion scare
Ireland forward Peter O'Mahony expressed relief on Thursday that Johnny Sexton had been named to face New Zealand in the second Test, despite the "hugely important" fly-half failing a concussion assessment during last week's defeat in Auckland.
Sexton will captain a team in Dunedin on Saturday that features just one change from the fifteen that started in the 42-19 first Test loss, with right wing Mack Hansen having shaken off Covid to replace Keith Earls.
The All Blacks also announced one starting change, with Dalton Papalii recalled at blindside flanker, pushing Scott Barrett into lock in place of Sam Whitelock, who suffered delayed symptoms of concussion.
Sexton, 36, did not return to the field at Eden Park after he suffered a blow to the head on the half-hour mark and failed an initial pitch-side head injury assessment (HIA).
However, he passed a second HIA later that night and then a third on Monday, clearing him to play under World Rugby protocols.
O'Mahony, who took over as skipper last week, said 106-Test veteran Sexton has appeared physically and mentally sharp this week.
"I'm far from a medical practitioner but he seems to be in good form," O'Mahony said.
"There's no secret, obviously Johnny is one of the best players in the world so you want to be dealing from the full deck. He's hugely important for us, obviously our captain."
There are two changes on the bench, with hooker Rob Herring back after a calf problem to replace Dave Heffernan and prop Finlay Bealham returning from Covid in place of Tom O'Toole.
O'Mahony was happy virtually the same players had been handed a chance to square the three-Test series.
"We showed some patches of how we can perform. The challenge for us is putting it together across a bigger period of the game," he said.
"There's no beating around the bush. Ireland have never won over here. There's history to be made, it's all on the line for us this weekend."
New Zealand coach Ian Foster admitted his team's set-piece play could be compromised by fielding a smaller, more mobile, forward pack, although he praised the dynamic attributes of Auckland Blues captain Papalii.
"It just gives us a different dynamic but clearly set piece will be a little bit affected," Foster said.
"Dalton's a tough rugby player. He's physical in the tackle and he's quick. Remember, it's a hard ground under a roof so expect the game to be fast."
Foster said his preference would have been to retain Barrett in the back row after the experimental selection worked well last week.
However, his hand was forced when another lock, Tupou Vaa'i, dropped from contention after testing positive for Covid-19, meaning Barrett has to revert to a more familiar role in the second row.
It means the back row, also featuring captain Sam Cane and the outstanding player of the first Test, Ardie Savea, comprises three players who have spent most of their careers as openside flankers.
Foster has made four changes to his replacements, bringing in the uncapped pair of scrum-half Folau Fakatava and prop Aidan Ross.
Outside back Will Jordan returns to the bench after missing the first Test with Covid with lock Patrick Tuipulotu included after being recalled to the squad last week, fresh from a stint in Japan.
Foster said he was eager to see how the bench newcomers would perform but was reluctant to change his starting side, given their efforts in Auckland off the back of a build-up disrupted by seven Covid cases in the All Blacks camp.
"It felt like making too many changes right now might take us back a cog," he said.
New Zealand (15-1): Jordie Barrett; Sevu Reece, Rieko Ioane, Quinn Tupeaa, Leicester Fainga'anuku; Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (capt), Dalton Papalii; Scott Barrett, Brodie Retallick; Ofa Tuungafasi, Codie Taylor, George Bower.
Replacements: Samisoni Taukeiaho, Aidan Ross, Angus Ta'avao, Patrick Tuipulotu, Pita Gus Sowakula, Folau Fakatava, Richie Mo'unga, Will Jordan.
Ireland (15-1): Hugo Keenan; Mack Hansen, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, James Lowe; Johnny Sexton (capt), Jamison Gibson-Park; Caelan Doris, Josh van der Flier, Peter O'Mahony; James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne; Tadhg Furlong, Dan Sheehan, Andrew Porter.
Replacements: Rob Herring, Finlay Bealham, Cian Healy, Kieran Treadwell, Jack Conan, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Bundee Aki.
E.Aziz--SF-PST