-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
Six knee surgeries a distant memory in Kubler's Wimbledon breakthrough
Despite six knee surgeries and a world ranking that once nose-dived out of the top 1,000, Jason Kubler always believed he could make the tennis grade, maybe just not at Wimbledon.
The 29-year-old Australian reached the last 16 on Saturday with a five-set win over fellow qualifier Jack Sock.
His three victories at the All England Club this week are his first in the main draw of a grass-court event.
It is a scenario that would have seemed unlikely six years ago when he was off tour for an entire year following another bout of knee surgery.
There had already been a series of operations in his teens as a consequence of a hereditary knee condition.
"I've had five on the left, one on the right," said former world junior number one Kubler, matter-of-factly.
To protect his troublesome knees, he even played exclusively on clay courts from 2012 until 2015.
If that was not dispiriting enough, he then sat out an entire year between 2016 and 2017 to rest after another surgery.
At the end of the 2016 season, Kubler was down at 1,063 in the rankings.
"There's definitely been tough times. But I made a promise to myself when I had my last knee surgery, I really just wanted to enjoy what I'm doing," he said.
"Obviously it's been an up-and-down sort of career for me but I can definitely look back and go 'I've enjoyed the tennis'."
- 'I didn't have money' -
During his year out, Kubler turned to coaching and acting as a hitting partner for other players to make ends meet.
That's when he came close to quitting his professional career.
"I probably did that for two or three months when I didn't have so much money," said the world number 99.
However, he performed well enough in low-key tournaments, which opened a wild card door at the 2018 Australian Open, eight years after he had first appeared in his home Grand Slam.
"If I didn't do as well back then, I doubt I would have kept going. I didn't have any money and not to brag, but I was doing all right with the hitting and the coaching stuff.
"Obviously I'm happier doing this sort of stuff."
Later in 2018, he made the first round at Wimbledon after coming through qualifying and the second round of the US Open.
This year, he reached the second round as a qualifier at the French Open.
He did not play a grass court event in the run-up to Wimbledon but his knees held up well on Saturday.
At four hours and 15 minutes, his 6-2, 4-6, 5-7, 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 win over Sock was the longest match of the men's tournament so far.
"This is a great moment for me and hopefully I can keep doing similar things," he said.
"But I definitely don't feel sour about what's happened. Maybe if I had handled situations differently when I was younger, maybe this could have come earlier."
Next up for Kubler is a last-16 clash with US 11th seed Taylor Fritz on Monday.
The pair met in the second round of the US Open in 2018 when Kubler was injured again, this time after rolling his ankle.
"When he's healthy, has a chance to play a lot, get the game going, he's a really good player," said Fritz.
Whatever the result Monday, Kubler's bank balance will have a healthier appearance.
By making the last 16, he is guaranteed £190,000 ($230,000).
B.Mahmoud--SF-PST