-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
After Piquet slur, Hamilton says F1 must listen to younger people
Lewis Hamilton on Thursday asked why 'older voices' in Formula One are still given a platform for offensive and out-dated views.
In the wake of reports this week that Nelson Piquet's used a racial slur to describe Hamilton last year, the British driver said the issue was not one person's use of an offensive term.
"It's not just about one individual," the Mercedes driver told a news conference at Silverstone, ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix. "It's not about just that one use of that term."
"It's more about the bigger picture.
"I don't know why we are continuing to give these older voices a platform -- because they're speaking upon our sport and we're looking to go somewhere completely different.
"And it's not representative, I think, of who we are as a sport now and where we're planning to go.
"If we're looking to grow in the US and other countries, in South Africa, and grow our audience, we need to look into the future and give the younger people a platform that will be more representative."
"It all comes back down to F1 and the media and we shouldn't be giving these old voices a platform."
Piquet, whose daughter Kelly is the girlfriend of world champion Max Verstappen, was condemned for a term he used in a Brazilian podcast in November, discussing a controversial collision between Hamilton and the Dutchman during last year's British Grand Prix.
Piquet, 69, has apologised. He said he did not mean any offence with the Brazilian-Portuguese term.
Hamilton said he was grateful for the support he had received from the sport, particularly from the drivers.
"It's been two years since many of us took the knee at the first race in Austria and, of course, we are still faced with the challenges," he said.
"I've been on the receiving end of racism and criticism, and that negativity, and archaic narratives for a long, long time, and undertones of discrimination, so there's nothing really particularly new for me."
- 'Micro-aggression' -
"These past two weeks, I don't think a day has gone by without one of these people saying negative things, or trying to bring me down, but I'm still here.
"We need to push for action."
"Why do we give these guys a platform? They are clearly not willing to change and these undertones of discrimination and micro-aggression in today's world are not helpful."
Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel offered support.
"It is more than just these recent days if we are very honest," said the Aston Martin driver. "It is probably what he [Hamilton] has been through, and his family, his entire life.
"It is very important to continue to talk about it because it is not gone. It won't happen overnight. That would be great, but it is a bigger matter and F1 in that regard has a responsibility to address these issues."
He added: "We have a campaign 'WeRaceAsOne' and it is very clear where we are going."
Piquet's membership of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC), which owns Silverstone, was suspended on Thursday after F1 made clear he would no longer be welcome in the paddock.
Also on Thursday, Hamilton and Mercedes announced the first grants by the Ignite initiative they launched last year to promote diversity.
The grants, of "over half a million pounds", will go to Motorsport UK, to increase female participation in grass roots motorsport, and to the Royal Academy of Engineering for "Masters-level motorsport engineering scholarships for Black students", said a Mercedes statement.
"We chose these grants because they focus on supporting individuals from two crucial and under-represented demographics, moving us towards our goal of increasing the number of women and black talent in the sport," said Hamilton.
M.Qasim--SF-PST