-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Ukraine's Tsurenko criticises Russian 'lies' after Wimbledon win
Ukrainian tennis player Lesia Tsurenko on Wednesday criticised Russian "lies" over a missile strike on a shopping mall, saying she knew people affected by the attack after reaching the third round of Wimbledon.
Tsurenko, who wore a ribbon in the Ukraine colours, recovered from losing the first set to beat compatriot Anhelina Kalinina 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
The 33-year-old said both players felt "amazing support" on Court 12, with fans waving Ukrainian flags.
In her post-match press conference she said she had been given permission by Wimbledon chiefs to wear the ribbon, referring to the "horrible things that are going on in Ukraine".
"Especially, it's very painful for me to see that Russian propaganda is just saying that, for example, that shopping mall in Kremenchuk was not working," she said.
"That's a lie, because my fitness coach, he's from that city. His mother-in-law... she's working in this shopping centre, and she was lucky that she had a day off."
"Him and his father, they were not far away from that place... the father fell down because of the (shock) wave."
A Russian missile on Monday destroyed the shopping centre in the central city of Kremenchuk and -- according to local officials -- killed at least 18 civilians.
The Russian army said the following day it had hit a nearby weapons depot with the explosion sparking the blaze at the centre, which, according to Moscow, was "not operational" at the time.
Tsurenko said she felt powerless and "very guilty" over the situation in her war-torn homeland, which was invaded by Russia in February.
"I feel that it seems like there is nothing I can do," she said. "So the only thing is continue playing, and as I said, I donate 10 percent of my prize money."
- Wimbledon ban -
Tsurenko said she supported Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players from the Grand Slam.
She said she had heard from just one Belarusian player and one Russian player, who had told her they were against the war.
"I thought I have a lot of friends on tour, especially from Russians and Belarusians," she added.
Tsurenko, ranked 101, urged people around the world to help if they could.
"If they think that to donate $10 means nothing, no, it's not true," she said. "It means a lot. In the city, in the main city of my region, Mykolaiv region, they don't have water for few months already.
"So if you think that $10 is nothing, it is 10 bottles of water for these people."
The player said her driver from the hotel to Wimbledon on Wednesday was hosting two people from Ukraine in her own home, describing such help as "amazing".
"I have been at the Polish border with Ukraine, and I saw hundreds, thousands of people," she said. "They just don't know where they go. They have all their life in two bags.
"They have kids, grandfather, grandmother maybe with them, and some, also disabled people. And they are lost. So any support that you give to Ukrainians is amazing."
R.AbuNasser--SF-PST