-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Undisputed crown will prove I'm pound-for-pound boxing king: Inoue
Japan's Naoya Inoue wants to prove he is worthy of his status as boxing's new pound-for-pound king, by becoming undisputed bantamweight world champion, the man known as "Monster" said Monday.
The ferocious 29-year-old was named The Ring magazine's new pound-for-pound number one last month after demolishing the great Filipino veteran Nonito Donaire inside two rounds to add the WBC bantamweight world title to his WBA and IBF belts.
Inoue replaced Ukrainian heavyweight Oleksandr Usyk at the top of the pound-for-pound tree, and the Japanese fighter is keen to drive the point home by beating Britain's WBO title-holder Paul Butler to become undisputed champion.
"People were saying that me becoming the number one pound-for-pound fighter all depended on what happened in the Donaire fight, and things worked out as well as I could have imagined," said Inoue, who is unbeaten in all his 23 fights, winning 20 by knockout.
"From here on, I want to give performances worthy of the number one pound-for-pound fighter.
"In order to do that, I need to unify the bantamweight world titles and then take on the super-bantamweight division."
The 33-year-old Butler captured previous WBO champion John Riel Casimero's vacant title when he beat Jonas Sultan by unanimous decision in April.
He was elevated from interim to full champion in May when the WBO stripped Casimero of the full title.
- Knockout specialist -
Inoue said negotiations to face Butler before the end of the year are "progressing in a good direction" and he has "no preference" about where the fight takes place.
"If it happens by the end of this year, I don't care whether it happens in Japan, the US or Britain," he said.
"It doesn't really matter to me. I want the fight wherever it is."
Inoue is the first pound-for-pound king to come from Japan, where he is a huge star.
He is also a rare example of a boxer from the lighter weight classes being rated as the world's top fighter.
He said "satisfying the fans" was just as important to him as winning and he wants to "show everyone who comes to watch me what I can do".
"I think that's how I've been able to get my record of 23 wins with 20 knockouts," said Inoue, who took up boxing at an early age under the tutelage of his father Shingo, a former amateur.
"I always try to knock out my opponent and I think that's been recognised."
Inoue said he believes a step to super-bantamweight would be the "best weight class" for him, and he intends to retire from the sport when he turns 35.
He acknowledged that "boxing is not a sport that you can take lightly" but he said he would like to "retire with an unbeaten record".
"I'd like to think when I turn 35, I will be able to look back and think I was happy that I became a boxer," he said.
"If I'm able to feel that, I think I'll be content."
N.AbuHussein--SF-PST