
-
In whirlwind tour, Qatari royal commits $70bn to southern Africa
-
St Pauli upstage Hamburg in derby return
-
Trump moves to cut more foreign aid, risking shutdown
-
France, Germany up pressure on Putin over Ukraine-Russia talks
-
Hearing ends without ruling on Trump attempt to oust Fed Governor Cook
-
Controversial coach boosting Rybakina at US Open
-
Europeans tell Iran offer on table to avoid sanctions
-
FA Cup-holders Palace sign Spain winger Pino
-
Alcaraz romps into US Open fourth round, Rybakina advances
-
Alcaraz mows down Darderi to reach US Open last 16
-
Court battle underway as Fed Governor Cook contests firing by Trump
-
Schwarber hits historic four homers but misses rare shot at five
-
Injury doubt Tonali picked by Gattuso for Italy's World Cup qualifiers
-
Spurs sign Dutch midfielder Simons in boost for new boss Frank
-
Rybakina routs Raducanu to advance at US Open
-
US banana giant Chiquita returns to Panama
-
Martin says Rangers remain supportive despite woeful start
-
France, Germany vow to up pressure on 'ogre' Putin
-
Stocks slide as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Smog then floods: Pakistani families 'can't catch a break'
-
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
-
Ayuso triumphs in Vuelta stage seven, Traen keeps red jersey
-
Goalkeepers still posing problems for Man City boss Guardiola
-
Turkey bars Israeli ships, flights from its territory
-
Forest boss Nuno plans Marinakis talks after transfer issues
-
Putin will have 'played' Trump if he refuses to meet Zelensky: Macron
-
Norris sets early pace at Dutch Grand Prix practice
-
Bargell tackles medical challenge and starts for US at Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Vardy in talks to sign for Serie A outfit Cremonese: source
-
Trump withdraws Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
-
Arteta concerned by Saka injuries after latest hamstring blow
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Stock markets retreat as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
European stocks retreat before US inflation data
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data

Alcaraz sets up Italian Open semi clash with Musetti, Sabalenka falls
Carlos Alcaraz set up a semi-final meeting with Lorenzo Musetti at the Italian Open on Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Jack Draper in the last eight, while women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka was knocked out.
Madrid Open winner Sabalenka was sent packing in the quarter-finals by Chinese eighth-seed Zheng Qinwen 6-4, 6-3.
Third seed Alcaraz, meanwhile, produced what he called one of his best displays of the season to book a last four date with the man he beat in Monte Carlo last month.
The Spaniard's impressive win over Draper kept alive his chances of a third title of the season and also moved him up to number two in the world rankings behind Jannik Sinner.
"I lost focus a little bit in the second set but it wasn't (for) too long, so it was pretty good," said the four-time Grand Slam winner in search of a first Rome crown.
"Probably it was one of the most complete matches that I played this year."
Alcaraz had to be at his best to down fifth seed Draper, who put in another strong showing on clay in Italy after losing the Madrid Open final to Casper Ruud.
The Briton lost control of the first set when, after taking a two-game lead, he was broken twice by Alcaraz who then took the lead in the match.
And Alcaraz made sure of victory by breaking Draper to love to go 5-4 ahead in the second set before serving out the match.
The day's final match saw current world number two and defending champion Zverev lose his Rome crown in addition to his ranking as he went down to home hope Musetti 7-6 (7/1), 6-4.
After trading breaks earlier in the set, Zverev looked set to seal the opener after breaking Musetti at 5-5 and then leading on his next service game 40-0.
But the Italian improbably saved four set points to force a tiebreak, which he swept 7-1 in front of a raucous centre court.
An angered Zverev argued with the umpire in the second set but kept his cool on the court until 4-4.
The German had looked the more likely to make a breakthrough until the ninth game when a stunning backhand passing shot give Musetti break point, which he duly converted before holding to 30 to reach his third semi of the year on clay.
Ruud's attempt at a Madrid and Rome double has a Sinner-shaped obstacle in its way after the world number seven won his postponed match with Jaume Munar 6-3, 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals where he will face the top seed on Thursday.
- Sabalenka stunned -
Sabalenka's stunning clay-court form deserted her at the Foro Italico as she fell in straight sets to Olympic gold medallist Zheng.
It was seventh time lucky for the world number eight as she at last got the better of her Belarusian opponent with a confident display under the lights in Rome.
After surviving early pressure on her own serve, Zheng broke Sabalenka to take a 3-2 lead in the first set before serving out.
Zheng then pounced in Sabalenka's first service game in the second frame to go up a break.
Sabalenka showed determination to make gritty holds in the fifth and seventh games of the set, but she could not make inroads on Zheng's service as the 22-year-old powered into the semis.
"It's been a long time I haven't arrived in semi-finals," Zheng told Sky Sports after securing her first semi-final appearance of the season.
"It was not easy for me because at the beginning of the year I got some struggles with my arm.
"So right now I'm just perfectly in shape and trying to play better tennis all the time."
Zheng will meet Coco Gauff in the last four after the American earlier beat Mirra Andreeva 6-4, 7-6 (7/5).
Gauff has guaranteed herself number two in the women's world rankings with her solid displays in Rome, where she saw off seventh seed Andreeva.
Former US Open winner Gauff said that she had "a lot of confidence" for the last four, where she will face an opponent against whom she holds a 2-0 record.
Gauff, 21, is looking for her first title of the season ahead of Roland Garros, after losing the Madrid final to Sabalenka.
Indian Wells champion Andreeva put up surprisingly little resistance in a low-key first set.
And Gauff had too much for her in the second, quickly responding to each of Andreeva's breaks of serve before coming through a tricky tie-break.
S.Abdullah--SF-PST