-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Banned Mickelson hopes to play on PGA Tour again
Phil Mickelson said Monday he hopes to play PGA Tour events again in future despite being banned from the circuit after joining the lucrative Saudi-backed LIV Golf series.
Speaking in Brookline ahead of this week's US Open, where the six-time major champion will be playing his first tournament on US soil in four months, Mickelson said he had earned the right to his lifetime membership of the PGA Tour and should be free to play its tournaments.
The 51-year-old US star is one of the biggest names to sign for LIV Golf, the upstart series which made its debut in Britain last week and has plunged golf into civil war.
Mickelson is among 17 players who were hit with indefinite suspensions by PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan last week for their participation in LIV Golf.
However Mickelson said on Monday he believed he should be free to play in events of his choosing, insisting he had contributed to the success of the PGA Tour during more than 30 years as a professional.
"I am very appreciative of the many memories, opportunities, experiences, friendships, relationships PGA Tour has provided, and those are going to last -- those will last a lifetime, but I'm hopeful that I'll have a chance to create more," Mickelson said.
"I've worked hard to earn a lifetime membership. I've worked hard to give back to the PGA Tour and the game of golf throughout my 30-plus years of professional golf, and I've earned that lifetime membership, so I believe that it should be my choice.
"My preference is to be able to choose which path I would like, one or the other or both."
- 'Don't know how this will play out' -
Mickelson would not be drawn however when asked about plans for his future schedule beyond LIV events and next month's British Open.
"It's been pretty public that I'm suspended along with a bunch of other players, so it would be only speculative going forward," Mickelson said.
"I am going to play the LIV events. I am going to play the British Open, but anything other than that would be pure speculation. I don't know how this is all going to play out."
Critics of LIV Golf say the circuit is being bankrolled by Saudi Arabia as part of an effort to 'sportswash' its reputation amid criticism of the kingdom's human rights record.
Families of victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington joined the chorus of criticism last week, accusing golfers joining LIV of betraying the memories of their loved ones. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers who carried out the 9/11 attacks were Saudi citizens.
Asked about the 9/11 families' criticism on Sunday, PGA Tour chief Monahan said no player ever had to apologise for being a member of the PGA Tour.
Responding to that remark on Monday, Mickelson said he had not always seen eye-to-eye with the PGA Tour.
"There's a lot of things throughout the years that the PGA Tour has done that I agree with, and there's a lot of things that I don't agree with, and yet I've supported them either way," Mickelson said.
Mickelson triggered uproar in February after the publication of remarks made to golf writer Alan Shipnuck in which he described the Saudi backers of LIV Golf as "scary" with a "horrible record on human rights".
However he said he was enthusiastic about the new series as it presented an opportunity to pressure the PGA Tour to reform itself.
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST