-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
PGA Tour bans LIV Golf rebels as new series launches
The US PGA Tour slapped a ban on players who are competing in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series on Thursday -- just half an hour after the inaugural event teed off outside London.
The richest tournament in the sport's history -- with a purse of $25 million -- got under way at the Centurion Club in St Albans after a trumpet fanfare and with fighter planes circling.
As LIV Golf chief executive Greg Norman looked on, Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and Scott Vincent started their rounds on the first hole.
But the action was quickly overshadowed by a PGA Tour memo to all its members informing them that the players competing at the St Albans tournament without releases had been suspended.
"These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons," wrote Tour commissioner Jay Monahan.
"But they can't demand the same PGA Tour membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners."
The banned players include six-time major champion Mickelson and former world number one Johnson, two of the biggest names who have signed up to the new series.
LIV Golf immediately responded, calling the PGA's action "vindictive" and saying it "deepens the divide between the Tour and its members".
"This certainly is not the last word on this topic," it said. "The era of free agency is beginning as we are proud to have a full field of players joining us in London, and beyond."
The dispute could be heading for the courtroom if any of the 17 players named by Monahan, 10 of whom had resigned their PGA Tour membership, pursue a legal challenge.
Norman has said previously he is braced for a legal battle, anticipating fierce opposition from the established tours.
As well as Mickelson, LIV Golf players banned by the PGA include Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Ian Poulter.
Others who had already resigned their PGA Tour membership but were also listed include Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Louis Oosthuizen and Lee Westwood.
That group of players will be removed from the FedEx Cup points list following the end of this week's Canadian Open and will not be able to compete on the Tour as non-members via a sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category.
- Tournament clash -
Players asked for releases to compete in the LIV event in England but were rejected by the US-based Tour, in part because there was a conflict with the Canadian Open.
Monahan warned any players who took part in future LIV Golf events would face the same fate, with multiple reports that US stars Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed plan to sign up.
Four-time major winner Rory McIlroy and two-time major champion Justin Thomas, currently playing in Toronto, supported the action taken by the PGA Tour.
"I have great belief and great confidence in the PGA Tour and where we're going and continuing to grow to, and those guys just aren't going to be a part of it," Thomas said after the first round of the Canadian Open.
McIlroy, runner-up at the Masters in April, said Monahan had simply enforced membership regulations and had "done the right thing".
The DP World Tour, formerly known as the European Tour, has yet to announce what action it will take over its players who are competing in St Albans.
The eight LIV tournaments scheduled for this year, bankrolled by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, are worth an eye-watering combined $255 million.
Organisers have pledged to "supercharge" golf, offering 54-hole tournaments with no cuts, simultaneous "shotgun starts" and a team element.
Players have faced tough questions over Saudi Arabia's human rights record and have been accused of greed in chasing the huge rewards on offer.
Mickelson did not dispel rumours he was receiving an eye-watering fee of $200 million to compete while Johnson is reportedly receiving $150 million in appearance fees.
Mickelson, who had not played since the publication of comments in February in which he criticised the PGA Tour and LIV Golf's Saudi backers, was grilled by reporters on the eve of the tournament.
The 51-year-old insisted he did not "condone human rights violations", adding golf could be a force for good.
But Amnesty International renewed its call for players to speak out about "human rights abuses" in Saudi Arabia, rather than being "willing stooges of Saudi sportswashing".
O.Mousa--SF-PST