-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
Dembele sparkles as Barca thrash Athletic, Sevilla defeat Betis
Ousmane Dembele turned the jeers to cheers at Camp Nou on Sunday by scoring a stunning goal and setting up two more in a 4-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao.
Dembele's explosive finish in the second half was his first goal since the end of the January transfer window, when Barca told the Frenchman he should leave if he refused to sign a new contract.
But Xavi Hernandez has insisted on reintegrating Dembele in the last few weeks, with Barca needing the 24-year-old in their fight to finish in La Liga's top four.
This victory puts them back into fourth place, above Atletico Madrid and now only one point behind Real Betis, who have been dragged into the scrap after they lost 2-1 to Sevilla earlier on Sunday. Second-placed Sevilla's win reduces the gap to Real Madrid back to six points.
After bitter contract talks ended in stalemate, Dembele played at Camp Nou against Napoli in the Europa League earlier this month, when Xavi brought him on as a substitute to screeching whistles from the angry home supporters.
Yet many gave their backing to the forward in that game too, demonstrating the emotional bind Barcelona fans have found themselves in, caught between supporting a player Xavi wants to use and venting their frustration at his intention to leave for free.
This time, they had little choice but to applaud as Dembele used his pace and power to score a brilliant second goal after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had earlier given Barca the lead, an acrobatic finish making it five goals in his last three games for his new club.
Dembele then teed up Luuk de Jong and Memphis Depay with two superb crosses in injury-time.
If Dembele produces more spell-binding moments and Barcelona qualify for the Champions League, the result could be a renewed sense of synergy that even persuades him to stay.
Certainly, Xavi appears to have managed the situation as smoothly as possible, with Dembele noticeably going over to celebrate with Barcelona's coach, who gave him a hug and an approving pat on the head.
Barca are now unbeaten in 10 La Liga games and, when combined with their defeating of Napoli in the Europa League, it appears they are making strides under Xavi.
This was another hugely encouraging performance against an Athletic side that sit eighth and have been on a strong run themselves.
Aubameyang's opener was a difficult finish made to look easy, Gerard Piqu'’s header coming back off the crossbar and the ball forcing Aubameyang to adjust his feet before throwing his body into the air and volleying in.
Dembele's was no less emphatic as he collected the ball on the left and squared up to Athletic's Inigo Martinez before darting left towards the line and unleashing a shot that flew past the near post and in.
There was time for two more in injury-time and Dembele turned provider for both, lifting one cross for De Jong to head in before curling another low one into the six-yard box, where Depay finished on the slide.
- Sevilla stay in title hunt -
Sevilla had earlier prevailed against rivals Real Betis as two mistakes from Betis goalkeeper Claudio Bravo proved decisive in a feisty derby at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.
Bravo was recalled after a month out injured but the 38-year-old had a first half to forget, giving away a penalty, which was converted by Ivan Rakitic, before letting Munir El Haddadi's shot squirm through his fingers.
Betis improved in the second period and might have engineered a comeback had Sergio Canales' stunning free-kick, which curled beautifully into the corner, hit the net sooner than the 94th minute.
"We were a sham in the first half and then in the second it was the Betis we want to see," said Betis coach Manuel Pellegrini.
"We will enjoy it, tonight will be a long night," said Sevilla's El Haddadi. "We'll fight to the end."
Any faint hopes Betis had of pipping their rivals to second place appear now to be over, with their focus diverted to finishing in the top four.
Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, who Betis face next weekend, are both only a point behind while Villarreal are four points back after they thrashed Espanyol 5-1, with Yeremy Pino scoring a hat-trick.
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST