
-
Asia stocks mixed after Wall St hits new highs
-
Cash-strapped Taliban look to airspace for windfall
-
Biles' presence helps Gauff win US Open crying game
-
'Female power': Japan erotic art destigmatised in new exhibit
-
Olympic marathon champion Hassan opts for Sydney ahead of worlds
-
Atletico already playing catch-up after poor La Liga start
-
Lyon find cause for optimism after turbulent summer
-
Sinner on the march as tearful Gauff, Swiatek toil at US Open
-
Julia Roberts to make Venice debut in cancel culture drama
-
Big numbers set to remain a feature of Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Families lose hope for Salvadorans held in gang crackdown
-
Trump thumbs nose at decades of India courtship
-
Gauff wins crying game to reach US Open third round
-
Arsenal seek statement win at Liverpool, Amorim faces Burnley must-win
-
Cowboys trade Parsons to Packers in blockbuster NFL deal
-
Russian attack killing 23 in Kyiv unleashes international fury
-
Venezuela revives heroes with AI to spur reservists on US 'threat'
-
Solskjaer sacked by Besiktas after European flop
-
Froome to undergo surgery after breaking back in training crash
-
Trump moves to end US tariff exemption for small packages
-
US targets Venezuela over 'Soles' cartel. Does it exist?
-
Coe hails 'overwhelming support' for gene testing ahead of Tokyo worlds
-
Solskjaer fired by Besiktas after Conference League failure, Palace squeeze through
-
Osaka slams Ostapenko rant in US Open 'racism' storm
-
Rubio to visit Mexico, Ecuador next week to discuss migration, China
-
US church shooter 'obsessed with idea of killing children'
-
US stocks reach new peaks as investors digest US GDP
-
US approves $825 mn missile sale to Ukraine
-
Rubio to visit Mexico, Ecuador next week to discuss migration, China: US
-
Lyles edges Tebogo in Zurich thriller in perfect Tokyo boost
-
Lyles trumps Tebogo in Zurich, Alfred shines
-
Arsenal optimistic about Havertz return after knee surgery
-
Pressure-free Wong relishing US Open adventure
-
RFK Jr bashes US health agency after its chief is sacked
-
Swiatek wobbles at US Open as Sinner targets third round
-
Alfred storms to 100m victory at Diamond League finals
-
Bison herds 'reawaken' Yellowstone's prairies
-
RFK Jr bashes US health agency after firing its chief
-
Swiatek labours into US Open third round
-
UN sets 2027 exit for Lebanon peacekeepers after Israeli strikes
-
Brazil police target network that siphoned billions from fuel sector
-
Liverpool and Man City face Real Madrid in Champions League, PSG get tough draw
-
'Strangest' dinosaur covered in spiked armoury: scientists
-
UN Security Council votes for Lebanon peacekeepers to leave in 2027
-
Badminton federation smoothes feathers ruffled by shuttlecock shortage
-
Luxury carmaker Lotus to slash UK jobs amid US tariffs
-
Small parcels in limbo as Trump moves to end US tariff exemption
-
Russian attack killing 19 in Kyiv unleashes international fury
-
Europe powers move to reimpose Iran sanctions over nuclear drive
-
UN chief condemns 'endless' Gaza horrors as Israel presses offensive

Bangladesh minister says Yunus 'not going to step down'
Bangladesh's Muhammad Yunus "needs to remain" in office as interim leader to ensure a peaceful transition of power, a cabinet member and special adviser to Yunus said Friday.
Yunus, the 84-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner who took over after a mass uprising last year, had threatened to quit the job if parties did not give him their backing, a political ally and sources in his office said.
The South Asian nation has been in political turmoil since the student-led revolt that toppled then-prime minister Sheikh Hasina in August 2024, with parties protesting on the streets over a string of demands.
"For the sake of Bangladesh and a peaceful democratic transition, Professor Yunus needs to remain in office," Faiz Ahmad Taiyeb, a special assistant to Yunus, and head of the Ministry of Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology, said in a post on Facebook.
"The Chief Adviser is not going to step down," he added. "He does not hanker after power."
He later deleted his post.
Bangladesh's political crisis has escalated this week, with rival parties protesting on the streets of the capital Dhaka with a string of competing demands.
Yunus's reported threat to stand down came after thousands of supporters of the powerful Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) rallied in Dhaka on Wednesday, holding large-scale protests against the interim government for the first time.
Yunus has promised polls will be held by June 2026 at the latest in the Muslim-majority nation of around 170 million people.
But supporters of the BNP -- seen as front-runners in the highly anticipated elections that will be the first since Hasina was overthrown -- demanded he fix a date.
- 'Chaotic phase' -
Yunus's relationship with the military has also reportedly deteriorated.
According to local media and military sources, army chief General Waker-Uz-Zaman said on Wednesday that elections should be held by December, warning that Bangladesh was in a "chaotic phase" and that the "situation is worsening by the day".
Taiyeb issued a warning to the army on Friday. "The army can't meddle in politics," he wrote.
"The army doesn't do that in any civilised country," he added.
"By saying that the election has to be held by December, the military chief failed to maintain his jurisdictional correctness."
- 'Excessive restriction' -
The army played a decisive role in the ending of Hasina's rule by not stepping in to quash the uprising, after at least 1,400 protesters were killed in a police crackdown.
It was Waker-Uz-Zaman who announced that Hasina had been overthrown, with the military taking brief control, before handing over to Yunus.
The army issued a statement late on Thursday it said was aimed to combat those seeking to create divisions between the military and the public.
"Some vested interest groups are circulating misleading information and trying to create a divide between the army and the general public," the army said in a statement late Thursday.
It released a list of the hundreds of people it had briefly sheltered inside army bases in the chaotic days following Hasina's ouster "to save them from extrajudicial killings".
Among those the army said it sheltered to "save lives" were 24 political figures, as well as judges, civil service staff, academics and more 525 police personnel.
The army did not give details on those it accused of seeking to undermine its support.
The National Citizen Party (NCP) -- made up of many of the students who spearheaded the uprising against Hasina, and a group close to Yunus -- has previously accused of the army of supporting Hasina's Awami League party.
Hasina, 77, remains in self-imposed exile in India, where she has defied an arrest warrant to face trial for crimes against humanity related to the police crackdown.
The government banned the Awami League this month after protests outside Yunus's house, a move that sparked criticism from Human Rights Watch, calling it an "excessive restriction on fundamental freedoms that mirrors the previous government's abusive clampdown".
U.AlSharif--SF-PST