
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice
-
Mourinho sacked by Fenerbahce after Champions League exit
-
German unemployment tops 3 million, highest for a decade
-
Thai court sacks PM over Cambodia phone call row
-
Turkey says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
-
South Korea's ex-first lady indicted for bribery
-
Lay off our eggs market, French producers tell Ukraine
-
Modi says India, Japan to 'shape the Asian century'
-
Hope and hate: how migrant influx has changed Germany
-
Outdoor athletics season should be longer, says Coe
-
Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin dies aged 92: Bolshoi
-
Thai court to rule on PM's fate after Cambodia phone call row
-
Last French survivor of key WWII desert battle dies aged 103
-
NZ police say CCTV shows father on the run for four years
-
Vandalism hobbles Nigeria's mobile telephone services
-
Indonesia leader orders investigation into driver's protest death
-
At 81, DJ Gloria fills Sweden's dancefloors
-
Japan seeks record defence budget, to triple drone spending
-
Late-night Paul battles through at US Open in 1:46 am finish
-
Jury finds Australian croc wrangler lied about air crash
-
Mistrust undermines Ivory Coast's universal healthcare dream
-
Sinner on the march as Swiatek, tearful Gauff toil at US Open
-
Australian police urge gunman to surrender after officers killed
-
Nanjing massacre film set becomes China school holiday hotspot
-
Celtic and Rangers seek Old Firm tonic for Champions League trauma
-
Aussie Rules player latest found with concussion-linked brain disease
-
Zelensky urges more Western pressure on Putin after deadly Russian attack
-
US ends tariff exemption for small packages shipped globally
-
Asia stocks mixed after Wall St hits new highs
-
Cash-strapped Taliban look to airspace for windfall
-
Biles' presence helps Gauff win US Open crying game
-
'Female power': Japan erotic art destigmatised in new exhibit
-
Olympic marathon champion Hassan opts for Sydney ahead of worlds
-
Atletico already playing catch-up after poor La Liga start
-
Lyon find cause for optimism after turbulent summer
-
Sinner on the march as tearful Gauff, Swiatek toil at US Open
-
Julia Roberts to make Venice debut in cancel culture drama
-
Big numbers set to remain a feature of Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Families lose hope for Salvadorans held in gang crackdown
-
Trump thumbs nose at decades of India courtship
-
Gauff wins crying game to reach US Open third round
-
Arsenal seek statement win at Liverpool, Amorim faces Burnley must-win
-
Cowboys trade Parsons to Packers in blockbuster NFL deal
-
Russian attack killing 23 in Kyiv unleashes international fury
-
Venezuela revives heroes with AI to spur reservists on US 'threat'
-
Solskjaer sacked by Besiktas after European flop
-
Froome to undergo surgery after breaking back in training crash
-
Trump moves to end US tariff exemption for small packages

UK court gives govt green light to reach Chagos Islands deal
A British court on Thursday paved the way for a government deal on returning the remote Chagos Islands to Mauritius, lifting a temporary ban which had forced an 11th-hour halt to an accord being signed.
The agreement would see Britain hand back the Indian Ocean archipelago to its former colony and pay to lease a key US-UK military base on Diego Garcia, the largest island.
Labour Prime Minister Keir Starmer had been been due to conclude the agreement in a virtual signing ceremony with Mauritian representatives earlier on Thursday.
But in a last minute pre-dawn court hearing, two Chagossian women won a temporary injunction from London's High Court on the deal's progress, in an embarrassing turn of events for Starmer whose government has faced huge criticism over the plan.
After a hearing at 10:30 am (0930GMT), Judge Martin Chamberlain lifted the injunction, saying there was a "very strong case" that the UK national interest and public interest would be "prejudiced" by extending the ban.
He said any further challenges would have to be heard by the Court of Appeal.
A government spokesman said "we welcome the judge's ruling today".
But the opposition Conservatives have slammed the government's Chagos Island deal as "British sovereign territory being given away" in a "bad deal" for the UK.
Earlier, the two Chagossian women, Bernadette Dugasse and Bertrice Pompe applied for the injunction after a leaked newspaper report late on Wednesday indicated the government planned to unveil the deal.
As around 50 protesters gathered outside the court, the two women's lawyer, Philip Rule, alleged the government was acting "unlawfully" and argued there was "significant risk" that Thursday could be last opportunity for the court had to hear the case.
But Starmer has said that international legal rulings have put Britain's ownership of the Chagos in doubt and only a deal with Mauritius can guarantee that the base remains functional.
The base on Diego Garcia is leased to the United States and has become one of its key military facilities in the Asia-Pacific region, including being used as a hub for long-range bombers and ships during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- 'Sellout' claims -
"The deal is the right thing to protect the British people and our national security," a government spokesperson told AFP ahead of the ruling.
The opposition Conservatives, however, described the deal as a "sellout for British interests".
"You're seeing British sovereign territory being given away to an ally of China, and billions of pounds of British taxpayers' money being spent for the privilege," said senior Tory politician Robert Jenrick.
"This was always a bad deal," he added.
Britain kept control of the Chagos Islands after Mauritius gained independence in the 1960s.
But it evicted thousands of Chagos islanders who have since mounted a series of legal claims for compensation in British courts.
In 2019, the International Court of Justice recommended that Britain hand the archipelago to Mauritius after decades of legal battles.
The deal would give Britain a 99-year lease of the base, with the option to extend.
Mauritian Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam has said his country would pursue its fight for full sovereignty over the islands if Washington refused to support the return.
N.Awad--SF-PST