-
Mavericks part ways with head coach Kidd
-
Shock and bafflement at San Diego mosque where three were killed
-
US enforces law to crack down on sexual deepfakes
-
Arsenal crowned Premier League champions after Man City draw
-
New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales
-
US says held talks with Cuba on $100 mln offer
-
Chelsea beat Spurs to leave rivals in 'embarrassing' relegation danger
-
Google wants its search bar to act on your behalf in AI revamp
-
Taiwan author wins International Booker for 'slyly sophisticated' novel
-
Iran 'very confident' about World Cup protocols: federation vice-president
-
Google unveils smart glasses, taking on Meta
-
Guardiola swerves Man City exit talk as title hopes ended
-
Chiefs' Rice jailed for probation violation
-
Five factors in Arsenal's Premier League title triumph
-
Mikel Arteta: Pep protege to Premier League winner
-
How Arsenal banished 'nearly men' tag to end 22-year title wait
-
Arsenal win Premier League after Man City held by Bournemouth
-
From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US
-
Lost in Trump's climate boast: best-case scenario abandoned
-
Hantavirus cruise operator says ship not source of outbreak
-
Trump shows off ballroom site with 'drone empire' planned for roof
-
Rubio to attend NATO talks, pay first visit to India
-
Under Trump pressure, EU seeks deal to end trade standoff
-
Airbus seeks to cut peripheral expenses due to Mideast war
-
France encourages women to report rape in probes of star Bruel
-
Guardiola silent on Man City exit reports
-
Argentine researchers collect rodents for hantavirus tests
-
Iran talks making 'good progress': US VP Vance
-
Teen wonder Sooryavanshi's slams 93 to edge Rajasthan closer to IPL play-offs
-
Norway reports Europe's first case of bird flu in a polar bear
-
Italy's Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Emery focused on Villa glory, not crown of Europa League 'king'
-
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
-
US, Iran trade threats but Trump says Tehran wants peace deal
-
Russia's Zvyagintsev sets film amid 'disaster' Ukraine war
-
UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU 'in my lifetime'
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
Drone attack kills 28 at market in southern Sudan
-
Putin lands in China for trip that aims to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp
-
Israel finance minister says ICC seeks arrest warrant against him
-
Kentucky primary vote tests Trump's grip on Republican base
-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Iran warns against new US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
US State Dept walks back purported $400 mn Tesla contract
The US State Department backtracked Thursday on a document saying it would award $400 million for electric armored cars by Tesla, whose chief Elon Musk has been aggressively slashing government spending on behalf of President Donald Trump.
Despite the denial, the share price of Tesla, the main source of the fortune of the world's richest person Musk, was up more than four percent in morning tade, well outpacing the broader market.
A State Department forecast on procurements, published regularly for years as part of transparency efforts, said it expected to buy the Tesla armored vehicles over five years for use by US embassies.
After several media outlets reported on a Tesla contract, the language on the online document was altered to read simply "armored electric vehicles" without specifying the automaker.
The State Department said the mention of Tesla was in error as it had been the only company that had responded to an initial public message to solicit interest, which takes place before the actual bid.
"No government contract has been awarded to Tesla or any other vehicle manufacturer to produce armored electric vehicles for the Department of State," a department spokesperson said.
"The solicitation is on hold and there are no current plans to issue it."
Musk also walked back on Tesla winning the contract, or at least all of it, writing on X, the social media platform he owns: "I'm pretty sure Tesla isn't getting $400M. No one mentioned it to me, at least."
The push for electric vehicles, including for the US government, was initiated under former president Joe Biden, with the original document indicating a purchase from Tesla dating from December.
Despite his friendship with Musk, Trump has vowed to roll back Biden's efforts to transition to electric cars and his other initiatives to fight climate change.
Musk has been aggressively seeking to scale down spending as head of the new Department of Government Efficiency, including by putting on leave virtually the whole staff of the US agency in charge of international aid.
H.Jarrar--SF-PST