-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Oil prices dip on report of US sanctions relief for Iran during talks
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
Brazil ex-president Bolsonaro surgery ends 'with success'
Brazil's ex-president Jair Bolsonaro underwent a successful intestinal surgery in Brasilia on Sunday, his wife said, going through a marathon operation after being hospitalized for "unbearable" pain linked to a 2018 stabbing attack.
The 70-year-old underwent laparotomy -- a procedure involving an incision through the abdominal wall -- "to treat intestinal adhesions and reconstitute the abdominal wall," said a statement from the DF Star hospital where he was being treated.
"Operation finished with success!" Michelle Bolsonaro, the former leader's wife, wrote on Instagram on Sunday evening, more than 11 hours after the procedure began. She thanked those who had prayed for her husband.
"This major operation lasted twelve hours and went smoothly, without the need for a blood transfusion," said a medical bulletin from the hospital.
Earlier in the day, about a dozen supporters had gathered outside the hospital, waiting for news.
Among them, wearing a crucifix, was 84-year-old businessman Maurilio Borges Bernardes, who said he had come to offer his "moral and spiritual support."
"He'll pull through, I'm sure," he said, wearing a green-and-yellow striped shirt in Brazil's colors, and a cap with Bolsonaro's picture on it.
The far-right former leader had said Saturday on X that his latest problem was "a consequence of the multiple surgeries I needed to undergo after the attack in 2018."
Bolsonaro was flown to Brasilia aboard a medical plane from the northeastern city of Natal, where he was hospitalized Friday during a tour of the surrounding Rio Grande do Norte state -- an impoverished region and historically a leftist stronghold.
- 'Delicate' operation -
Doctors in Natal initially said surgery was not necessary.
But on Sunday, the hospital in Brasilia said that "new tests revealed the persistence of the intestinal blockage despite the clinical treatment initially adopted."
"That is why the medical teams opted, by common agreement, for the surgical intervention," it said.
The former army captain was stabbed in 2018 while wading through a crowd of supporters by a man later found to be mentally ill.
Bolsonaro was elected president just weeks later.
The stabbing has taken a lasting toll, however, leading to repeated hospitalizations and surgeries.
Bolsonaro said Saturday on X that his doctors told him the latest setback was "the most serious situation since the attack that nearly cost my life."
"Even the doctors were surprised" by the gravity of the matter, he added.
Intestinal adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form between the intestines and the abdominal wall.
"These operations are delicate because you need to have the patience to undo each adhesion," Camila Beltrao, a surgeon specializing in digestive tract operations, told AFP.
- Supreme Court case -
Two weeks ago, the country's Supreme Court decided to open a case against Bolsonaro.
He stands accused of hatching a plot along with close collaborators, including government ministers and high-ranking military officers, to remain in office in 2022 despite losing a runoff election to leftist rival Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Separately, he has been declared ineligible to run for office until 2030 for his unproven attacks on the reliability of the country's electronic voting system.
Bolsonaro has clung to hopes that the judgment might be overturned or the sentence reduced in time to allow him to stand in next year's elections.
The 79-year-old Lula has been unclear about the possibility of seeking reelection next year. His popularity has been slipping, pulled down by inflation, and he too has had recent health problems.
Lula underwent emergency surgery in December to stop a brain bleed linked to a bad fall two months earlier.
F.AbuShamala--SF-PST