-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
-
Arsenal rout Man City in Community Shield masterclass
-
Strikes kill 16 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Southampton mocked over Spygate during Watford defeat
-
Marchand tries for European swim gold in unfamiliar event
-
Hamas expects meeting with Kushner as US pushes Gaza plan
-
India's Padikkal steals the show with 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Farmers, helicopters help battle record Belgian wildfire
Samsung union says South Korea strike on hold 'until further notice'
Samsung Electronics workers' union said late Wednesday that a planned strike had been put on hold until further notice after negotiations with management resumed with the participation of Seoul's labour minister.
The company's management and workers' union had resumed talks earlier in the day in a last-ditch attempt to avert a strike.
The labour union at the world's top memory chipmaker had said it would begin a strike on Thursday after talks over bonuses broke down, raising concerns about potential disruption to semiconductor production.
But late Wednesday, it said the planned strike "will be put off until further notice", adding that it would put a tentative wage deal to a vote.
All members will participate in a vote on this year's tentative wage agreement, which will take place between May 23 and May 28, the union said.
Labour Minister Kim Young-hoon said the company's management and union reached a tentative agreement through voluntary negotiations, and thanked both parties for "holding fast to the thread of dialogue until the very end".
Samsung's management apologised for the "concern caused" by the dispute, vowing to "build a more mature and constructive labour-management relationship so that such a situation does not arise again".
The walkout was expected to dwarf a 2024 strike that drew about 6,000 workers, as anger flares among staff over how the company distributes its massive profits from an artificial intelligence-fuelled boom.
Samsung reported a roughly 750-percent jump in first-quarter operating profit year‑on‑year, while its market capitalisation topped $1 trillion for the first time in May.
The union had called for the scrapping of a bonus cap set at 50 percent of annual salaries and for 15 percent of operating profit to be allocated to bonuses.
According to the union's lawyer, around 50,500 workers were set to walk off production lines for 18 days from Thursday following the breakdown of negotiations with management.
In response, Samsung's management said the talks failed because "acceding to the labour union's excessive demands would risk undermining the fundamental principles of the company's management".
The standoff has raised concerns in South Korea, where semiconductors account for about 35 percent of exports and are a key pillar of the economy.
The presidential office had expressed "deep regret" over the collapse of talks earlier, urging both sides to continue negotiations given the strike's potential economic impact.
President Lee Jae Myung also told a cabinet meeting that collective labour action should remain within "certain limits".
Experts say even a partial halt in Samsung's operations could prove damaging -- though the union argues that production stoppages have already occurred in the past for reasons related to maintenance and equipment inspections.
The government could invoke emergency mediation powers to halt industrial action and trigger mediation if it is deemed a threat to the national economy.
- Limited impact? -
But Tom Hsu, an analyst at Taipei-based research firm TrendForce, said the potential impact of the strike, if it goes ahead, may be limited.
"Due to the high level of automation in front-end facilities, TrendForce expects Samsung's DRAM and NAND Flash production to remain at full capacity," he told AFP.
"Any potential impact from the strike is likely to be confined to non-memory business segments."
A Suwon court this week largely granted Samsung Electronics an injunction requiring staffing and operations to be maintained at normal levels during any walkout, to prevent potential damage to the company's safety-related and other facilities.
Kim Sung-hee, director of Workers' Institute for the Industrial and Labour Policy, said that while the strike could cause losses, "they are unlikely to be irreversible".
The strike, if it happens, does not mean it would "automatically trigger an economic crisis", he told AFP.
Samsung Electronics shares inched up 0.18 percent by the close in Seoul on Wednesday.
- AI boom -
Samsung is a major producer of chips used in everything from artificial intelligence to consumer electronics.
The company said this year it had begun mass production of next-generation high-bandwidth memory chips, HBM4, seen as a key component for scaling up the vast data centres needed for AI development.
The dispute has unfolded against the backdrop of an AI boom that is benefiting South Korean tech groups, boosting national growth and the stock market.
Both Samsung and its domestic rival SK hynix posted record profits in the first quarter, driven by global demand for AI chips.
Long staunchly anti-union, late founder Lee Byung-chul once vowed never to allow unions "until I have dirt over my eyes".
Samsung Electronics' first labour union was formed in the late 2010s.
S.AbuJamous--SF-PST