-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
-
Arsenal rout Man City in Community Shield masterclass
-
Strikes kill 16 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Southampton mocked over Spygate during Watford defeat
-
Marchand tries for European swim gold in unfamiliar event
-
Hamas expects meeting with Kushner as US pushes Gaza plan
-
India's Padikkal steals the show with 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Farmers, helicopters help battle record Belgian wildfire
-
Hollywood duo underline Premier League ambition for Wrexham
-
Air support kicks in as record Belgian wildfire jumps in size
-
India's Padikkal makes 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
Australia's humiliating nine-wicket loss to Bangladesh has accelerated calls for regeneration of its ageing Test team with opener Jake Weatherald and the inconsistent Marnus Labuschagne in the firing line.
The clash in Darwin had been touted as a mismatch after Bangladesh crumbled to an innings defeat in their only warm-up game and went into the first Test without injured pace spearhead Nahid Rana.
But in one of the biggest upsets cricket has seen, the visitors pulled off a historic victory Sunday to leave top-ranked Australia shell-shocked and facing recriminations.
Australia have suffered surprise home defeats in the recent past, including an eight-run loss to the West Indies at the Gabba in 2024.
But the manner of this crushing loss, with Bangladesh dominating each of the four days, had Australian media Monday slamming it as "a disaster" and the "most embarrassing" ever.
Former captain Ricky Ponting, who scored more than 13,000 Test runs, said it was time for tough decisions.
"I'm the last one to want to make change," he told Channel Seven when the Test was in its death throes.
"As a captain or as a player I wanted to keep a group together, so it has to get to a bad point before I start saying you've got to leave somebody out.
"But there's been enough evidence for me coming here (Darwin) to suggest they weren't going to lose anything, or much at all, by starting that regeneration, bringing in another opener, bringing in someone at three... I think that has to happen."
With the exception of Steve Smith (71 and 44) and second-innings century-maker Cameron Green, the Australian batting was poor with too many soft dismissals.
Weatherald and number three Labuschagne are most at risk, both averaging under 27 since the start of the Ashes against England in late 2025 and rapidly running out of lives.
"The 1-2-3, as Ricky and I will tell you, are absolutely fundamental to the set-up of a batting team," former opener Matthew Hayden told the same broadcaster.
"When they are constantly putting that middle order under pressure, Steve Smith arriving way earlier than he ever needs to be, then you've got to start to answer those questions."
- Bite the bullet -
Josh Inglis was the spare batter for Darwin, but skipper Pat Cummins said selectors could look for alternatives outside the 13-man squad, acknowledging the batting failures were "a little bit of a trend".
A rejuvenated Matt Renshaw coming in for Weatherald is the most obvious change for the second Test starting in Mackay on Saturday.
But there is also growing support for a younger generation to be given a chance, with Sam Konstas, Campbell Kellaway, Ollie Peake and Cooper Connolly knocking at the door.
"You have to bite the bullet at some stage," Australian great Mark Waugh said while former opener David Warner, whose place in the team has proved hard to fill since he quit in 2024, added: "I think we've got to start blooding some youngsters."
With Australia facing a tough three-Test challenge in South Africa as their next assignment in October, throwing in at least one youngster at Mackay to gain experience would make sense.
Australian media suggested Kurtis Patterson or Nathan McSweeney were the two frontrunners to take Labuschagne's spot, although neither has been in outstanding form.
Darwin was the first of up to 21 Tests Australia will play over the next 12 months, and the tried and tested bowling unit of Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon is seemingly still in favour, despite their advanced years.
Returning from injury, Hazlewood shut down debate over whether he remains Australia's first-choice attack bowler with a six-wicket haul in Bangladesh's first innings.
Veteran off-spinner Lyon, also on the comeback from injury, appears most vulnerable with the 38-year-old outbowled by Bangladesh counterpart Mehidy Hasan Miraz.
Understudy Todd Murphy, 25, is considered first in the pecking order to take over.
O.Salim--SF-PST