-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
Battle lines drawn over EU's next big budget
EU leaders had their swords already drawn when they plunged into intense discussions Friday over the 27-country bloc's next seven-year budget, with the usual frugal nations pushing to contain spending.
The European Commission last year proposed a budget of two trillion euros ($2.3 trillion) to pay for the bloc's operations, from farm subsidies to research funding, for the 2028-2034 period.
European Union leaders took stock of their own position on Friday during talks in Cyprus, as they scramble to approve the final budget by the end of 2026.
Many EU countries which have to chip in most of the money have made it clear they oppose what would represent a sizable increase on the current budget, paving the way for difficult talks.
The leaders of Germany and the Netherlands, countries belonging to the so-called "frugals", offered a stark message before heading into discussions with their EU counterparts in Nicosia.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz ruled out higher debt -- pushed by France -- and said it was time for the EU to choose its battles.
"We will be setting new priorities. This means that we will also have to reduce spending in the European budget in other areas," he told reporters.
He was echoed by Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten, who said the budget amount proposed by the commission "needs to be significantly reduced".
It was "unacceptable" for the Netherlands, one of the largest contributors to the EU budget, to see its contribution "really explode", Jetten added.
- 'Compromise' needed -
Any final agreement on the long-term budget will come after what are expected to be tense talks between the EU parliament and member states.
With critical elections next year including in France, the EU wants to get a deal before 2027 to avoid among others, the possible risk of a far-right French government causing a bigger headache in getting a deal over the line.
The next EU budget proposed that the bloc start paying off tens of billions of euros a year of its coronavirus-era debts, but some EU lawmakers oppose this and would like a rollover.
They also want an EU-wide tax on the world's biggest tech companies.
"We cannot solve all the crises and the difficulties we are facing. We need new money to service old debt, and that is something that we will ask the member states to look at," parliament chief Roberta Metsola said in Nicosia.
Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said it was "indispensable" for the EU to develop new tax-based revenue sources.
"Without them, the choice is stark. It's either higher national contributions or it's lower spending capacity," she told a press conference after talks.
Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin, whose country will hold the rotating EU presidency from July after Cyprus, said he expected challenging negotiations.
"There will have to be compromise," he said. "Some think the budget is too high as it is. Others think it's not high enough."
But the clock is ticking, European Council President Antonio Costa warned.
"We have a collective responsibility to reach an agreement by the end of the year," Costa said after talks in Nicosia ended.
H.Jarrar--SF-PST