-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
Elon Musk snubs Paris prosecutors' summons over X and Grok
Elon Musk did not appear Monday for a voluntary interview with Paris prosecutors, who had summoned the American tech billionaire over a probe into his social media platform X and AI chatbok Grok.
Prosecutors told AFP they had "taken note of the absence of the first people summoned," without mentioning Musk's name.
The billionaire had dubbed the French authorities "retards" weeks earlier in a French-language X post.
"The presence or absence (of the people summoned) is not an obstacle to continuing the investigation," prosecutors added.
They had issued the summons in February as part of an investigation, launched in January 2025, into allegations that X's algorithm was used to interfere in French politics.
The probe was later expanded to include dissemination of Holocaust denial and sexual deepfakes by X's AI chatbot Grok.
French prosecutors in February also searched the Paris offices of X, in what the social media giant -- which has denied any wrongdoing -- slammed as "politicized" raids and an "abusive judicial act".
At the time, Paris prosecutors also summoned Musk and then-CEO Linda Yaccarino for voluntary interviews as the "de facto and de jure managers of the X platform at the time of the events", a move Musk called a "political attack".
Yaccarino resigned as CEO of X in July last year after two years at the helm of the company.
- 'Politically motivated' -
In February, Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said employees of the company had also been summoned to appear between April 20 and 24 "to be heard as witnesses".
But whether they turn up for voluntary questioning would not be "an obstacle to the continuation of the investigation", the Paris prosecutor's office said Saturday.
Officials have not offered any details on the location or time of Musk's scheduled interview.
The French investigation focuses on several suspected criminal offences, including complicity in possessing child sexual abuse material and denial of crimes against humanity.
The social media company in July called the probe "politically motivated".
Its complaints were echoed Monday by Telegram co-founder Pavel Durov, himself the subject of a French probe into illegal activity on his platform.
President Emmanuel "Macron's France is losing legitimacy as it weaponises criminal investigations to suppress free speech and privacy", read a post on X by Russian-born Durov, who also holds French nationality.
- UK, EU probes -
The French investigation comes as part of a broader international backlash against Grok after it emerged that users could sexualise images of women and children using simple text prompts such as "put her in a bikini" or "remove her clothes".
It generated an estimated three million sexualised images -- mostly of women, though also 23,000 that appeared to depict children -- in 11 days, the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), a nonprofit watchdog, said in late January.
In a separate investigation, Britain's data regulator in February launched investigations into Musk's X and xAI over "serious concerns" over whether the companies complied with personal data laws when it came to Grok's generation of sexualised deepfakes.
In January, the European Union also hit X with a probe over Grok's generation of sexualised deepfake images of women and minors.
O.Farraj--SF-PST