-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
France charges man over failed attack on US bank
French authorities Wednesday charged a young man in connection with an attempted attack against a Bank of America branch in Paris, as investigators explored suspicions a pro-Iran group was involved.
The plot thwarted before dawn on Saturday came more than a month after US-Israeli strikes on Iran sparked regional conflict, sending energy markets into a tailspin.
A source following the case, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man in his early twenties from a Paris suburb had been charged with "terrorist criminal conspiracy" and remanded in custody.
French counter-terrorism prosecutors suspect he asked teenagers to place an explosive device outside the US financial institution near the Champs-Elysees.
Contacted by AFP, his lawyer did not wish to comment.
The investigation suggested he recruited three minors in the night of Thursday to Friday, offering to pay them 500 to 1,000 euros for the job, the National Counterterrorism Prosecutor's Office (PNAT) said earlier in the day.
After a failed attempt that night, "two of three minors tried again the following night", it said.
Police on Saturday arrested a 17-year-old who had placed the explosive device near the bank and was about to light it.
The PNAT says the incident could be linked to a little-known Islamist group with possible links to Iran, though no firm link has yet been established.
The Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya (HAYI) group, meaning The Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand, has claimed responsibility for attacks targeting the Jewish community in the United Kingdom, Belgium and the Netherlands.
Police had on Monday last week been informed of a HAYI propaganda video on social media "specifically targeting the French headquarters" of Bank of America, the PNAt said.
The adult suspect told investigators "a third party, presenting themself as an intermediary, had approached him via a social network's messaging service to have the explosive device planted as part of a personal vendetta", it said.
"The explosive device was allegedly delivered to his home by a person he did not know," it added.
V.Said--SF-PST