-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
EU vows to 'respond firmly' to any trade pact breach by US
The EU executive on Thursday vowed to "respond firmly" to any violation of a key tariff deal by the United States after President Donald Trump's administration announced new trade probes.
The probes centered on overproduction and importing goods made with forced labour, US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on Wednesday.
"We will be seeking further clarity from the US on how the opening of this section 301 investigation would interact with" the EU-US agreement struck last year, European Commission spokesman Olof Gill said.
"The commission would respond firmly and proportionately to any breach of the joint statement commitments," he added.
Gill said the European Union shared the United States' concern about structural overcapacity in the global economy.
"However, the sources of such overcapacity are well identified, and they do not lie in Europe," the spokesman added.
The future of the EU-US tariff pact has been thrown into question after the US Supreme Court ruled in February that Trump lacks the authority to impose levies under a 1977 law.
Trump responded with fresh tariffs of 10 percent on imported goods, but the EU has said it received US reassurances it will stand by the deal.
The commission said the EU is still abiding by the accord and expected the United States to show the same commitment.
"We have not received any indication that the US administration intends to deviate from those commitments," Gill said.
EU lawmakers in the European Parliament's trade committee could give their green light next week to removing tariffs on US industrial goods -- a key step toward implementing Europe's side of the deal.
S.Barghouti--SF-PST