-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
Spanish PM vows justice, defends rail safety after deadly accidents
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez vowed Wednesday that justice would be done following two train accidents that claimed 47 lives last month, and insisted the country's rail system "is safe".
The back-to-back disasters in January shocked the country and raised doubts about the safety of train travel in Spain, which boasts one of the world's most extensive high-speed rail networks.
"The entire state is doing -- and will continue to do -- everything possible to support the injured and the victims' families, clarify the causes of the accident, and, if necessary, ensure justice is done," Sanchez told parliament.
Spain's rail system "is not perfect, but it is safe", he added, vowing to take all necessary measures to prevent similar tragedies in the future.
Shock hit the rail sector after a collision between two high-speed trains in the southern region of Andalusia on January 18 resulted in the death of 46 people -- one of Europe's deadliest such disasters this century.
Two days later, a commuter train in the Barcelona region ploughed into the rubble of a collapsed wall following heavy rain, killing the driver and injuring dozens.
The government reached a deal with railway unions on Monday to invest 1.8 billion euros ($2.1 billion) to improve maintenance, create 3,650 jobs, and strengthen public rail safety.
The agreement prompted unions to call off a three-day strike.
The opposition has called for the resignation of Transport Minister Oscar Puente, blaming the accidents on underinvestment in maintenance and understaffing.
Popular Party (PP) chief Alberto Nunez Feijoo accused the government in parliament of having "played Russian roulette with our safety".
He said the accident in Andalusia was "preventable, not an unforeseeable catastrophe" and blasted the government for not apologising and "taking responsibility".
A preliminary report suggested the track may have been cracked before that catastrophe.
Private operators began running passenger trains in Spain in 2021 following the liberalisation of the rail sector, ending Renfe's decades-long monopoly.
Since then, passenger numbers on some routes have grown noticeably, but the unions say investment in maintenance has not kept up.
But Sanchez said his coalition government had nearly tripled investment in railway infrastructure since it came to power in 2018.
He accused the previous PP government of underinvestment in the national rail network which he said carries over 12 million passengers each week.
"There is still work to be done, without a doubt, and much to improve," Sanchez told lawmakers.
N.Awad--SF-PST