-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Italy probes Tod's executives over labour exploitation
Italian prosecutors are investigating three executives from luxury fashion label Tod's, as well as the company itself, for alleged labour exploitation, according to a court document seen Thursday by AFP.
Milan Prosecutor Paolo Storari had previously requested a six-month ban on the company's advertising, with Judge Domenico Santoro fixing a December 3 hearing on the matter, according to his decree dated November 14, viewed by AFP.
The prosecutor's office alleges that Tod's -- best known for its trendy leather moccasins -- acted in "full awareness" of the exploitation of Chinese subcontractors, with violations in working hours, wages, hygiene and safety, as well as "degrading" housing.
The company, according to prosecutors, was "devoid of organisational models" to prevent the exploitation of sub-contracted workers, read the court document.
"In particular, it outsourced the audit service to suppliers and then failed to minimally take into account the results of these inspections, which noted numerous indicators of exploitation," it said.
The Tod's executives under investigation are responsible for operations, supply chain issues and compliance.
The executives allegedly exploited 53 workers, most of them Chinese, working for six different subcontractors of Tod's, the document showed.
In the prosecutors' October 29 request for the court to suspend Tod's advertising, they alleged that "the illicit system described has generated enormous profits thanks to the exploitation of (severely underpaid) Chinese labour and was made possible by serious organisational deficiencies".
The 144-page court document includes accusations by a Chinese worker at one subcontractor that his boss beat him with his fists and a long plastic and aluminium tube when he confronted him about 10,000 euros (around $11,500) in unpaid back wages.
Despite a contract for four hours of work a day, the worker said he worked from 9 in the morning until 10 o'clock at night, with two half-hour breaks for lunch and dinner and no days off.
- Beyond negligence -
The investigation revealed "a phenomenon where two worlds... that of luxury on the one hand and that of Chinese laboratories on the other, come together for a single objective: cost reduction and profit maximisation through avoidance of labour law regulations", read the document.
Prosecutors said the shoemaker's "organisational deficiencies and the lack of controls" went beyond negligence, describing it as a "malicious" attitude.
They had previously asked for Tod's to be temporarily placed under court administration for failing to carry out checks in the chain of production.
In a statement Thursday, Tod's said Italy's top court had rejected that request on Wednesday. It did not give details, but media reports say the request for judicial administration has been held up by a dispute over legal jurisdiction.
"Regarding the new allegations concerning the same matter, the company is now reviewing, with the same composure, the additional material, produced with worrying timing, by Dr. Storari," the company added.
Tod's founder and chairman Diego Della Valle is one of Italy's wealthiest individuals. He defended his company last month, telling reporters that Tod's was respected around the world and upheld "ethical values".
He also warned that such investigations risked damaging "Made in Italy" brands.
Several high-end labels have been placed under judicial administration in Italy amid investigations about the treatment of sub-contracted workers, most recently luxury brand Loro Piana.
F.Qawasmeh--SF-PST