-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Mammoth German rail project hits the buffers - again
The opening of a mammoth German rail project, which has become emblematic of the infrastructure woes plaguing Europe's biggest economy, has been delayed yet again, reports said Wednesday.
"Stuttgart 21" is envisaged as a futuristic rail hub in the southwestern city, but its inauguration has been repeatedly pushed back from an original date of 2019.
Trains were due to finally start running from the new underground station in December 2026, before a full opening in the summer of 2027.
But Der Spiegel news outlet reported the recently installed head of state-owned rail operator Deutsche Bahn had indefinitely delayed it due to technical problems.
Deutsche Bahn acknowledged in a statement that "scheduling risks" had grown to "an extent that was previously unforeseeable".
It did not give further details but said the issue was being assessed by the group's supervisory board.
"I'm not surprised at all, because the problems are so huge," Dieter Reicherter, spokesman for protest group Action Alliance Against Stuttgart 21, told AFP.
"I wouldn't be surprised if the project were to be cancelled altogether at some point."
Tim Alexandrin, a transport ministry spokesman, emphasized the federal government had no direct influence over the project, which is overseen at the local level.
But he told reporters in Berlin that it was "clear that any further delays are extremely frustrating, particularly for passengers".
Work began 15 years ago on Stuttgart 21, which involves replacing the current station with a major underground site.
But repeated delays have left the city centre resembling a building site, while costs have more than doubled to around 11 billion euros ($12.7 billion).
Der Spiegel reported that analyses had shown there were major risks with sticking to the planned start date of 2026 due to problems with digital infrastructure.
Deutsche Bahn CEO Evelyn Palla, recently named to lead the rail operator, has not yet set a new opening date, and one is not expected until the middle of next year.
The project has come to symbolise the deterioration of German rail services in recent years, and more broadly the country's infrastructure, from crumbling bridges to patchy internet coverage.
Chancellor Friedrich Merz's coalition has launched a massive fund aimed at fixing these problems, with 81 billion euros earmarked for the rail system by 2029, according to Deutsche Bahn.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST