-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Italy court stalls Sicily bridge, triggers PM fury
Italy's government said Thursday it would address concerns over a new bridge to Sicily, after Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned a court ruling against the project as an "intolerable intrusion".
Meloni's government in August approved the 13.5-billion-euro ($15.6-billion) project to build what would be the world's longest suspension bridge connecting the island of Sicily to the mainland.
But in a ruling late Wednesday, the Court of Auditors, which oversees public spending, refused to approve the decision.
It said it would give its reasons within 30 days, but last month it had requested clarification about documentation used on the project, and on costs.
Meloni, leader of the far-right Brothers of Italy party, condemned Wednesday's ruling as "yet another encroachment on the jurisdiction of the government and parliament".
"The constitutional reform of the justice system and the reform of the Court of Auditors, both under discussion in the Senate and close to approval, represent the most appropriate response to this intolerable intrusion, which will not stop the government's action," she said in a statement.
At the same time, Matteo Salvini, head of the far-right League party who as deputy prime minister and transport minister has championed the bridge, said the ruling appeared to be a "political choice".
Yet on Thursday, after Meloni called an emergency meeting with her ministers, the government adopted a more conciliatory tone.
"We await with extreme calm the Court of Auditors' findings, to which we are confident we can respond point by point, because we have complied with the requirements," Salvini told reporters.
In a statement, Meloni's office confirmed the government would respond to each complaint, adding that "the objective... to proceed with the project remains firm".
Italian politicians have for decades debated a bridge over the Strait of Messina, a narrow strip of water between the Sicily and the region of Calabria, at the toe of Italy's boot.
"We have waited a century, and we will wait a century and two months," Salvini added.
- 'Respect for magistrates' -
The approval in August by a government committee, CIPESS, is the furthest the project has ever got.
Advocates say the state-funded project will provide an economic boost for the impoverished south of Italy.
The government also hopes the bridge can be classified as a strategic asset, with its costs counting towards the money Italy has committed to spend on defence as part of the NATO military alliance.
However, critics warn that the project risks turning into a financial black hole.
It has also sparked local protests over the environmental impact, and complaints that the money could be better spent elsewhere.
The Court of Auditors on Thursday said its decision was based on legal aspects of the approval of the bridge, not on the merits of the project.
In a strongly worded decision, it added that any criticism of its decisions "must be conducted in a context of respect for the work of the magistrates".
In three years in office, Meloni and her ministers have repeatedly taken aim at the judiciary for decisions they assert are political.
Parliament on Thursday approved a reform to separate the training, careers and status of judges and prosecutors, whom right-leaning governments in Italy have long accused of colluding to the detriment of the defence.
The reform must now go to a referendum.
N.AbuHussein--SF-PST