-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Canada removing tariffs on US goods compliant with free trade deal
Canada will remove all tariffs on US goods that are compliant with the existing North American free trade agreement, Prime Minister Mark Carney said Friday, matching exemptions affirmed earlier this month by Washington.
President Donald Trump called the move "nice."
Speaking to reporters a day after a lengthy call with Trump, Carney said Canada has "the best deal of any country with the United States right now."
Following a series of agreements the United States has signed with major partners including the European Union, Carney said it was clear the Trump administration is compelling countries "to buy access to the world's largest economy."
He said the average tariff rate on goods entering the United States from around the world was now at 16 percent, up from two percent before Trump took office.
The US tariff rate on Canadian goods was 5.6 percent, the prime minister said, adding "85 percent of our trade is tariff-free."
Carney has said it was crucial the United States decided earlier this month to maintain its tariff exemption on all goods compliant with the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
Effective September 1, Canada will match that exemption as a goodwill gesture, as it aims to "intensify" discussions with the Trump administration on a broader trading relationship, the prime minister said.
- 'Puck in the net' -
Carney, a former competitive hockey player, said the decision to remove some counter-tariffs reflected the evolving stages of those negotiations.
"There is a time in the game... (when) we dropped the gloves in the first period to send a message," he said, using hockey terminology for punching an opponent.
"There's also a time in the game... (when) you want to put the puck in the net," he said, stressing Ottawa was now focused on clinching a deal that could offer long-term benefits for the Canadian economy.
Asked if he had received assurances from Trump on Thursday that the tariff announcement would help kickstart talks on a broader trade deal, Carney said "yes."
Trump said he "had a very good talk" with Carney on Thursday.
"I like Carney a lot. I think he's a good, good person," the president said.
Carney also stressed his government was focused on preparing for USMCA revision talks set for next year, a timeline agreed by all sides when the deal was signed during Trump's first term.
Trump's global sector-specific tariffs -- namely those targeting all auto, steel and aluminum imports -- have done the most damage in Canada.
"Canada will retain our tariffs on steel, aluminum and autos as we work intensively with the US to resolve the issues there," Carney said.
"Our focus now is squarely on these strategic sectors and the future."
V.AbuAwwad--SF-PST