-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Struggling German steel giant Thyssenkrupp plans major overhaul
Thyssenkrupp said Monday it planned a major overhaul that will split the vast conglomerate into several standalone businesses, fuelling fears about further job losses and a looming break-up of the historic German industrial titan.
Once a symbol of German manufacturing might, Thyssenkrupp has fallen into crisis in recent years as high costs at home, falling prices for its products and fierce competition from Asian rivals hammered its traditional steel business in particular.
The conglomerate, which traces its history back to the early 19th century, had already announced massive job cuts at the steel division and was in the process of seeking to spin off some parts of the business.
The plan announced Monday goes further however, and involves gradually making all segments of the group -- ranging from auto parts to green technologies -- into standalone businesses and opening them up for outside investment.
The current Thyssenkrupp group would be transformed into a holding company with stakes in the individual businesses.
Chief executive Miguel Lopez said the plan, to be presented to the supervisory board before the end of September, will help the group continue on its "chosen course".
"The future independence of our current segments... will increase their entrepreneurial flexibility, strengthen their investment plans and earnings responsibility, and improve transparency for investors," he said in a statement.
The move principally affects the group's automotive technology and green technology units as well as one that deals with supply chain management.
The aim is for them to become independent businesses in the coming years, with Thyssenkrupp to retain a controlling stake.
Efforts were already ongoing to spin off its lucrative submarine-making unit, and Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky has taken a 20-percent stake in the steel business, with the goal of increasing this to 50 percent.
- 'Dramatic situation' -
Investors cheered the news, with Thyssenkrupp's shares up more than eight percent in afternoon trading on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
But there was anger at what some viewed as the looming demise of a well-known German manufacturing giant, which has almost 100,000 employees worldwide, as well as fears about more job cuts.
"Germany's industrial icon faces being dismantled, thousands of jobs are at risk," said the tabloid newspaper Bild.
It reported that the number of staff at the group's Essen headquarters would be slashed from 500 to 100. Thyssenkrupp declined to comment on the report.
Politicians voiced anger at the potential impact in North Rhine-Westphalia state, where Germany's biggest steelmaker has major operations and is a big employer.
Dennis Radtke, a European Parliament lawmaker from Chancellor Friedrich Merz's CDU party, warned of a "dramatic situation for the entire value chain in the steel industry" if the restructuring plan goes ahead.
Radtke, originally from the region, told Stern magazine that swift action was needed to "avoid carnage that would make us even more dependent on China... the chancellor must make the issue a top priority".
China has become a major competitor to traditional European steelmakers in recent years.
A spokesman for the North Rhine-Westphalia state said it was "closely monitoring" the latest developments at Thyssenkrupp.
The state government's "actions are focused on securing jobs at ThyssenKrupp... and throughout the steel industry and related value chains", he told AFP.
Thyssenkrupp has reported massive annual losses for the past two years running. In November last year it announced plans to cut about 11,000 jobs at the steel division -- over a third of the workforce.
T.Samara--SF-PST