-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Kevin Spacey to get charity award in Cannes despite new scandal
Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey is to be given a lifetime's achievement award by a charity on the fringes of the Cannes film festival Tuesday despite being hit by a new sexual misconduct case.
The Better World Fund told AFP that the actor will be recognised "for his decades of artistic brilliance" at a charity gala, another step in the controversial rehabilitation of the scandal-plagued star.
The charity told AFP Monday that it invited Spacey to the French Rivera resort because he had been cleared by the courts.
The invitation to Cannes -- where Spacey has not been seen on the red carpet since 2016 -- comes as the main festival has been enforcing a new no-tolerance policy on sexual misconduct, under pressure from lawmakers and #MeToo anti-abuse activists.
A festival spokesperson declined to comment when contacted by AFP.
Spacey was acquitted of nine cases of alleged sex offences in Britain in 2023 and a New York court dismissed a $40 million civil sexual misconduct lawsuit against the "Usual Suspects" actor in 2022.
But last May new claims of inappropriate sexual behaviour emerged in a British television documentary, "Spacey Unmasked".
In it, 10 men not involved in the UK court case involving Spacey accused him of behaving inappropriately towards them.
But the 65-year-old, whose stellar career was derailed by the earlier claims, denied any wrongdoing.
In February, lawyers for former actor Ruari Cannon told AFP that he was taking a case to Britain's High Court against Spacey and London's Old Vic Theatre, where the actor was artistic director between 2003 and 2015.
In the documentary, Cannon accused Spacey of having touched him inappropriately in London when he was 21 years old and the American star was 53.
- #MeToo policy -
Cannes -- once the hunting ground of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein whose arrest sparked the #MeToo movement -- has been dogged for years by claims that it was too soft on celebrity abusers.
This year's festival opened just as French screen legend Gerard Depardieu was handed an 18-month suspended sentence for sexually assaulting two women on a film set in 2021.
With jury president, French actor Juliette Binoche, speaking out about harassment she experienced on set, Cannes has been swift to implement its new rules.
French actor Theo Navarro-Mussy -- who denies rape allegations made by three women against him -- was barred last week from the premiere of "Dossier 137", one of the films in the running for the Palme d'Or top prize.
The festival justified its decision by saying an appeal was under way.
And on Thursday, a vice president of the avant garde parallel film section at Cannes, ACID, was suspended after being publicly accused of sexual violence during an event.
H.Jarrar--SF-PST