-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Trump hails US-China trade 'reset' after first day of talks
US President Donald Trump hailed early Sunday a "total reset" in US-China trade relations following the first day of talks between top American and Chinese officials in Geneva aimed at de-escalating tensions sparked by his aggressive tariff rollout.
Trump praised the "very good" discussions and deemed them "a total reset negotiated in a friendly, but constructive, manner."
"We want to see, for the good of both China and the U.S., an opening up of China to American business," he said in a Truth Social post Saturday evening in Washington.
He added: "GREAT PROGRESS MADE!!!"
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Trade Representative Jamieson Greer met Saturday with Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng for the first such negotiations between the world's two largest economies since Trump slapped steep new levies on China last month, sparking robust retaliation from Beijing.
The discussions are expected to continue Sunday in Geneva, according to an individual familiar with the talks, who was not authorized to speak publicly.
"The contact in Switzerland is an important step in promoting the resolution of the issue," a commentary published by China's state news agency Xinhua said.
- 'De-escalate' -
The closed-door negotiations took place at the residence of the Swiss ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, a discrete villa with sky blue shutters near a large park on the left bank of Lake Geneva.
Tariffs imposed by Trump on China since the start of the year currently total 145 percent, with cumulative US duties on some Chinese goods reaching a staggering 245 percent.
In retaliation, China slapped 125 percent levies on US goods, cementing what appears to be a near trade embargo between the two countries.
Trump signalled Friday that he might lower the sky-high tariffs on Chinese imports, taking to social media to suggest that an "80% Tariff on China seems right!".
"The president would like to work it out with China," US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told Fox News on Friday. "He would like to de-escalate the situation."
Trump's press secretary Karoline Leavitt clarified that the United States would not lower tariffs unilaterally, and that China would need to make concessions.
In any case, a move to that level would be a symbolic gesture, since the tariffs would remain prohibitively steep.
- 'No winners' -
Bessent has said the meetings in Switzerland would focus on "de-escalation" and not a "big trade deal".
Beijing has insisted the United States must lift tariffs first and vowed to defend its interests.
"Trade wars and tariff battles yield no winners," said a commentary piece run by Xinhua early Sunday.
China's vice premier went into the discussions buoyed by news on Friday that China's exports rose last month despite the trade war.
The unexpected development was attributed by experts to a re-routing of trade to Southeast Asia to mitigate US tariffs.
Bessent and He were meeting two days after Trump unveiled a trade agreement with Britain, the first deal with any country since he unleashed his blitz of sweeping global tariffs.
The five-page, non-binding deal with London confirmed to nervous investors that the United States is willing to negotiate sector-specific relief from recent duties -- in this case, on British cars, steel and aluminium.
In return, Britain agreed to open up its markets to US beef and other farm products.
But a 10 percent baseline levy on most British goods remained intact and Trump remains "committed" to keeping it in place for other countries, Leavitt told reporters on Friday.
A few hours later, Trump appeared to contradict her, suggesting there could be some flexibility to the baseline -- but only if the right deals could be reached.
"There could be an exception at some point. We'll see," he said.
"If somebody did something exceptional for us, that's always possible."
burs-nl-da/acb
Q.Najjar--SF-PST