-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Kidnapped father of crypto-millionaire freed in French police raid
French police mounted a weekend raid to free a man who had been kidnapped in Paris to force his crypto-millionaire son to pay a ransom, prosecutors said, adding that five people were arrested.
The man, whose identity was not disclosed, was traced to an address in the Paris suburb of Essonne, which police raided late on Saturday, the prosecutors' office said in a statement.
He had been abducted in Paris's southern 14th arrondissement mid-morning on Thursday.
One police officer, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, said four men wearing ski masks had bundled him into a delivery van.
"The victim appears to be the father of a man who made his fortune in cryptocurrencies, with the crime involving a ransom demand," the prosecutors' statement said.
Le Parisien newspaper reported that the kidnappers had demanded a ransom of between five million and seven million euros ($5.7 million and $7.9 million).
A source close to the investigation told AFP that one of the father's fingers had been chopped off.
"There were fears of other mutilations" if police had not raided the property, the source said.
Prosecutors raised the number of arrests, from four given previously, after a fifth suspect was detained driving a vehicle "likely used by the criminals". They were all aged in their 20s.
French Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau hailed the "decisive" police operation to free the man, in a message on X.
The victim's wife told investigators that her husband and the wealthy son -- who both owned a crypto marketing firm in Malta -- had been targeted by threats in the past, a police source said.
The kidnapping followed the abduction on January 21 of a French crypto boss and his partner.
That victim, David Balland, had co-founded a crypto firm, Ledger, valued at more than $1.0 billion.
Ballard's finger was cut off by his kidnappers, who demanded a hefty ransom.
He was freed the next day, and his girlfriend was found tied up in the boot (trunk) of a car in the Paris suburb of Essonne.
Nine suspects are under criminal investigation in that case, including the suspected ringleader, a 26-year-old with a police record for a previous kidnapping.
Earlier in January, a 56-year-old man was found in the boot of a car near the city of Mans.
Several media reported that he was the father of a crypto-influencer based in Dubai who boasted online of his profits, and that a ransom was also demanded.
mlf-sm-sc-mk/rmb/mtp/gil
U.AlSharif--SF-PST