-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Renewable energy in the dock in Spain after blackout
Fierce debate raged in Spain on Wednesday over the role its reliance on renewable energy may have had in this week's blackout which disrupted millions of lives, though officials sought to downplay any potential link.
"The lack of nuclear power stations and the 'boom' in renewables have brought the electricity grid to its knees," conservative newspaper ABC headlined on its front page.
Rival daily El Mundo wrote that "warnings about renewables over the last five years" had been "ignored".
Conservative opposition parties have also questioned Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez's push to make Spain a green energy champion in the wake of Monday's power outage which halted trains, trapped people in elevators and plunged cities into darkness in the country and neighbouring Portugal.
Solar and wind power accounted for almost 40 percent of Spain's electricity last year, twice as much as in 2014, according to electricity operator REE.
By contrast the share of electricity generated by nuclear power fell to 20 percent in 2024, with the government aiming to phase out its atomic power plants by 2035.
Questions about the resilience of this mix began to be raised after it emerged that REE's parent company, Redeia, warned in its 2024 financial report that "the high penetration of renewable generation without the necessary technical capacity to deal adequately with disturbances" could "lead to production cuts".
These blackouts "could become severe, even leading to an imbalance between production and demand, which would significantly affect the electricity supply", it added in the report published in February.
- 'Worked perfectly' -
This message was echoed in a January report by Spain's competition watchdog CNMC which said the voltage on the electricity grid had sometimes "reached maximum values close to the authorised thresholds, and have even exceeded them at certain times".
After the blackout, experts questioned if an imbalance between electricity production and demand -- which is harder to correct without the right technology in a grid with significant wind and solar power generation -- could have led to the collapse of the system.
But Redeia president Beatriz Corredor -- a former Socialist lawmaker -- said renewable energy production "is secure", adding during an interview with news radio Cadena Ser on Wednesday it was "wrong" to link it to the blackout.
Redeia's 380-page annual financial report was merely listing a series of potential risks as required by law, she said.
Asked about the controversy, Ecological Transition Minister Sara Aagesen said Wednesday the cause of the blackout was still unknown and it was "imprudent to speculate".
"The system has worked perfectly well with similar demand and a comparable energy mix. Consequently, pointing the finger at renewables... does not seem appropriate," she added, calling Spain's network "robust".
- 'Ignorance' -
Sanchez on Tuesday defended his government's energy model and stressed that the cause of the outage was not yet known.
"Those who link this incident to the lack of nuclear power are frankly lying or demonstrating their ignorance," he told a news conference.
"Nuclear power plants, far from being a solution, have been a problem" during the blackout because "it was necessary to divert large amounts of energy to them to keep their cores stable", Sanchez said.
Spain's electricity network lost 15 gigawatts of electricity generation -- the equivalent of 60 percent of the country's electricity consumption at the time -- in just five seconds on Monday at around 12:33 pm (1033 GMT).
Spain's top criminal court said Tuesday it is investigating whether the blackout was "an act of computer sabotage" but REE has ruled out a cyberattack.
It has instead identified as a possible cause of the blackout two separate incidents just one and a half seconds apart, one which may have affected solar power production in southwest Spain.
But REE stressed it is "not possible to draw any conclusions" at this stage.
K.Hassan--SF-PST