-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
ECB chief warns of 'risks all over' as rates cut again
European Central Bank chief Christine Lagarde warned Thursday the eurozone faces "risks all over" amid US tariff threats and massive German spending plans, as policymakers cut rates again but signalled future monetary easing was in doubt.
"We have huge uncertainty," Lagarde told a press conference after the ECB cut interest rates for the sixth time since June last year.
"We have risks all over, and uncertainty all over."
The quarter-percentage-point reduction brought the Frankfurt-based institution's benchmark deposit rate to 2.5 percent.
The central bank for the 20 countries that use the euro has pivoted from hiking rates to tackle inflation, which surged with Russia's invasion of invasion, to lowering them to boost the eurozone's floundering economy.
While insisting that the process of bringing inflation back down to the ECB's two-percent target remained on track, Lagarde listed multiple threats to the outlook, which made it hard to plot a path forward.
"Tariffs -- and particularly if there is retaliation -- are not good at all, and are net-negative on pretty much all accounts," she said, at a time when US President Donald Trump is threatening to hit the European Union with 25-percent duties.
- Tariff worries -
Worries about US trade policy had been pushing rate-setters towards hitting pause, according to analysts.
Now, plans announced by Germany's likely next leader to massively boost defence and infrastructure spending are adding to the factors complicating the ECB's decisions.
While noting such increases could lift both growth and inflation -- potentially prompting the ECB to slow rate cuts -- Lagarde also stressed that the proposal by Friedrich Merz was a "work in progress", with the extent of its impact still unclear.
Merz's dramatic move, announced Tuesday, was driven by fears that long-standing US security guarantees for Europe will be weakened under Trump amid a rush to end the war in Ukraine.
The ECB on Thursday also released updated forecasts that highlighted the euro area's economic woes.
The central bank hiked its inflation forecast for 2025 to 2.3 percent from its previous estimate of 2.1 percent, made in December.
The pace of consumer price rises in the eurozone had eased to 2.4 percent in February after having ticked up slightly over several months.
The ECB also trimmed its growth forecast for 2025 and 2026 to 0.9 percent and 1.2, respectively. The forecasts, however, were calculated before Merz's announcement on spending.
With the debate heating up on when to potentially pause cuts, the central bank tweaked its guidance to say rates were becoming "meaningfully less restrictive", suggesting they were no longer having a major impact on bringing down inflation.
Markets had been on the lookout for the change in language, which they believe could indicate that ECB officials are gearing up to hold rates or stop lowering them completely.
That change, combined with the warnings on uncertainty, signalled that "policymakers are clearly becoming more cautious about further rate cuts", said Jack Allen-Reynolds, deputy chief eurozone economist at Capital Economics.
Clemens Fuest, president of the Ifo economic research institute, went further: "Rising wages and the increase in new government borrowing could lead to inflation rising again instead of falling further -- there is likely to be little scope for further interest rate cuts."
- 'More than ever' -
Even before the German announcement, ECB policymakers were already asking how much further it should continue on the path to lower interest rates.
Isabel Schnabel, an influential ECB board member, told The Financial Times last month that policymakers were getting "closer to the point where we may have to pause or halt our rate cuts".
"We can no longer say with confidence that our monetary policy is still restrictive," she said.
With uncertainty so high, Lagarde said the ECB was going to follow this stance "more than ever".
"As I said repeatedly -- we are not pre-committing to any particular rate path," she said.
R.Shaban--SF-PST